The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've spent what seems like days looking through posts, stickies and various links and I still don't get it. Is there anyone that can help me figure out this lighting thing? I need someone to explain everything in terms I can understand. I hope that I'm not the only one that just doesn't get it.
Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is for my 10g. It has two spiral flourescent bulbs. One is a 10w. The package says that they are each equal to a 40w inc. bulb but I don't think it's right. The other is a 15w.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hmm... that means it's pretty low light... they are highly inefficient 10w bulbs... i'd say you have at most 1.4wpg.. and that's if you have very nice reflectors

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can replace those spiral bulbs with bigger ones. There are 13 watt ones that would fit, and even bigger ones, but eventually the diameter will be such that they wont fit in the hood. A good light amount would be something around two 20 watt spiral fluorescents, in my opinion. And, some stores tell you the K rating of the bulbs, so you might find some with 5500 K rating, which would be pretty good. A higher K rating would be even better. (K rating is basically the color of the light as it looks to you. 5500K being a bit yellowish, and 10,000K being pretty bluish white. Whatever looks good to you is fine.)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My cories decided that they would remind me that they like to jump and hit the hood once in a while, I'd hate to wake up to cory-jerky on the kitchen floor. (back when I started fishkeeping) I once forgot to close the lid on a different tank and ended up with a dried out pleco on the floor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.