The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted a longer version of this on the general forum but realized that the actual lighting board might be more appropriate--hope cross-posting is ok. I'm a newbie and have been doing a ton of lurking/researching for months but can't quite find the answer to my current issue.

Basically I have a 29 gallon tank, which is 18 inches high (2-3 inches of which is taken up by substrate). I bought a Finnex Stingray because I want to go low-tech but after 3 weeks with plants in, I'm seeing a lot of melt (and some growth, to be fair). My question is, is the Stingray enough light? From what I have read it almost seems like the Stingray is too weak at this depth and Planted + would be too high (unless dosing CO2). I was thinking maybe the original FugeRay would be a good compromise?

I'm really curious to hear from other people who have a tank of this depth, and are trying to go low-tech...what do you use?

I've attached some pics...I have gotten a few inches of growth on the wisteria but it's still growing in the slightly lobed, emersed version. A couple of new leaves on the java fern. Nothing on the sword. Crypt spiralis melted a lot but I see new shoots and runners coming up too.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

H.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I don't know enough about that light, but here is what I am doing in a 29G tank - an old fashioned aqueon tank with a fluorescent hood:

- Main hood: Hagen Flora-Glo, 20W, 2,800K, 650 Lumen
- Additional: Marineland Hidden LED 21", 6,500K (72x .06W white LEDs, and 16x .06W 460 nm blue LEDs), PAR/Lux at 12" 25/1121, and at 24" 11/377
- Spot light, Deep Blue Solarflare 3W Micro LED 6,700K

And now I'm about to experiment with replacing the Flora-Glo with a Life-Glo that puts our 1,470 lumen and 6,700K. I suspect my plants will do even better with that. Here's the plants:

Amazon Swords
Marimo Balls
Wisteria
Flame Moss
Micro Swords
Java Fern
Java Moss
Soft (Tropical) Hornwort Ceratophyllum Submersum
Crypt Wendtii
Brazilian Pennyworth

Most are doing well, the Amazon swords are spectacular.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I use a Fluval Aqua Sky on my 29.

If the plants are new, melting is normal until they adjust to your tank. Emersed plants depending on where you get them from can take awhile. I've bought from Pet Co and Pet Smart. The ones from Pet Co typically take longer for some reason, although the ones from Pet Smart are not always the healthiest. i.e- The temple plant I bought had almost a completely rotted stem, but it is coming back.

If you're seeing new growth, the light is doing it's job.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just from your photos and your plant choices it's looking like you should have enough light. Do you have the spec's on the Finnex light, how many Lumens it's putting out? I'm gonna stick my neck out a bit a recommend some patience on your part. This tank will take a couple more weeks to get rolling. It will take a while for the gravel to develop a large enough colony of ammonia degrading bacteria, and the plants will be sort of slow during this time.

You might experience some algae, this will be entirely normal, most tanks, as they mature, will start a colony of algae, the trick is to out-compete them with more plants.

Both Java Fern and Crypts take a while to settle in, especially Cryptocorynes. So do you have any subsoil or osmocote under the gravel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts