The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have been beating my head trying to figger out what type/watt light to put on my 30g tank (36x12x18) this is a low to mid tech (might end up with a diy co2 at some point) But am looking at getting a new light for the tank and only want to buy this once so any help would be great thanks Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Well, this is actually for my 30 gallong tank. The husband signed up trying to help out, but I have been doing some research and I think I am more confused than when I started.

It seems to me that most lights I have found are either under powered or way over (reef lighting galore!). I keep coming back to this light http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/204914/product.web , but I don't know if this is a good choice or not. This light would give me roughly 3w/gallon, and I can't seem to figure out if this is what I need or not. I don't really want to get into CO2 right now, so without CO2 is this to much? I also don't know if the bulb it comes with is really ideal or not. It's a 10,000K bulb, but they also sell a 6,700K bulb that I thought might be better?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tamara

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got a 96 watt pc over one of my 30s and it's a bit much for no CO2. The other 30 has a twin tube fluorescent hood (60 watts total) and does fine with lower light plants (now that the grapevine is out). I find plants that get too leggy under high light stay nice and compact under 2 wpg.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What kind of plants are you putting in it? With anubias, java fern, crypts and the like you can do with much less. That's what I have in my 20 gallon non-CO2 at 1.5 watts/gallon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, right now I have Java Moss, Java Fern, Anacharis and some floating plants water lettuce, water sprite, salvinias and duckweeds. I also have 2 other's I've yet to be able to identify. My husband picked them up for me because he thought I would like them, and assumed the names would be listed on the bags. They were not labled, so I don't know. I can try and take some picks, and post them, so maybe someone can identify them.

I've looked at some other plants I am interested in and the links are below for these.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=7&infoParam.itemKey=208861

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=7&infoParam.itemKey=198833

This is going to be for a 30L tank, and the inhabitants of the tank will be Endlers, Red Cherry Shrimp, Apple snails (Brigs), and panda Cory's. I got the floating plants mostly to provide hiding places for fry when they inevitably show up, and the other's I've had in a low low low tech ten gallon for a few months.

Tamara

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm very interested in your solution to this as well...I have a 38 gallon (same as 30L but taller) that I'd like to find a relatively inexpensive, low-tech solution for. I'll just be growing java fern, anubias, and maybe some vals, but all that's on my tank now is a stock 36" 30W bulb. I'd like a 36" fixture with around 1.5, 2 watts per gallon that will look attractive (i.e. sit on top of the glass or fit under a DIY canopy) that won't cost me an arm or a leg. I'm looking around too, so I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.