The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would have the light hanging vertically centered directly above the tank. This will provide more even light over the entire tank. If you have to have the fixture higher above the water surface in order to do this then I would upgrade to a higher wattage CFL, maybe a 15 watt.

I would be afraid that going to 26 watt would be too much light without also doing CO2 injection.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure if I can make it any more centrally located, I wasn't originally intending to do a planted tank when I set it up, so there's not much room on the stand around it for a light, where I have it now is really the only place it fits. I'll see if I can't move the light over by way of the adjustable arm, and if I can't, I'll see about moving up a couple watts. What's the highest wattage you think I could do before needing CO2, if wherever I go for bulbs doesn't have 15 watts...?
I have Walmart clamp desklamps over my 15. Just clamp to the edge of the tank. The ones I got are all black, have a flexible neck, and rubber feet on the clamp part. They were like 6-7 dollars.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Oh, I have a lamp. I was asking how many watts I could have before I went over the limit, lest whatever store I go to doesn't have fifteen watt bulbs.
But I think this repositioned thirteen watt is enough, the java fern seems to be losing the brown on the tips, so that's good.
I know you have a lamp, but its not one you can clamp to the side of your tank and you aren't able to get the light centered over the top of the tank.

I'm suggesting you use a different type of lamp, one you can clamp on the tank to allow you to have it centered over the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts