The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I posted in the general 'Low Tech Plants' section before discovering this section. My post there was probably more accurate for here, though, and I may delete that one if it truly is in the wrong section. I'm looking for a light for a 5 gallon, low-tech planted tank (Repens, Java Fern, Amazon Sword).

I use the 'Top Fin Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit - 5 Gallon' kit and the lid that came with it, but my lights have died on it. I'd ideally like to keep the lid, but realize I may have to make some sacrifices/changes (I currently have 1 betta fish and an amano shrimp in the tank, so the lid is more for my peace of mind). The light stopped working on it, so I'm looking for a new light. I would like it to be white, as well... (I recently bought a light that attaches to the frame, but it's blue, despite being advertised as having a 'white' light option, so I'm going to be returning that...).

What are the best options for me in this regard? (I saw threads for >5 gallon tanks, but didn't see a lot of threads for 5 gallon tanks - feel free to redirect me if this has already been discussed :|)

·
Registered
33 Posts
what are the dimensions of your tank, idk what a 5g dimensions are off-hand
If it is a 16.5 inch standard tank, it looks like NICREW has one for, like $18 on Amazon. it is called NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, White and Blue LEDs just type that in and it should go to it on Amazon. It does have some blue lights on it, but, the overwhelming majority of them of "white". I have NO idea if it is good for a low-tech setup or for growing plants period, though. Just an option.
COODIA has an 11-18 or 19 inch light, too. I don't have any experience with these brands. Idk if they will grow plants or not, they are just options. I have amano shrimp, too, but, I took the hood off and they haven't gone anywhere. I do read that they do escape a lot.
I think Current-USA has a line called ecoxotic on Ebay that has a lot of smaller sized lights. I bought a little one thats 6 inches on accident, but, man is it bright! It was only $15 bucks, though. Anyways, good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be about 15.5 to 16 in across.

Anyways, thanks so much for your recs - despite asking this forum for questions, I hadn't thought about doing my shopping online... Those brands look like items I can use - shame they don't sell some of those lights in the store. NICREW definitely piqued my interest so now I'm looking at it (I'm okay with some blue, but my biggest issue was me misunderstanding the light product I had bought, which has all blue LEDs with only one tiny white LED... NICREW pics look good, though). Also, those prices are WAAAY cheaper than what I paid in store, and seems to give more options. Thank you! I guess I just didn't know how to search. I'll place an order sometime in the future once I decide. <3

I feel dumb for doing the impulse purchase in-store, but eh. Live and learn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts