The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the freshwater planted aquarium but have been a serious fishkeeper for a numbers of years (freshwater community and Mbuna)

I have been given a 36 gallon bowfront aquarium and have decided to try live plants. I currently have it set up with a diy lighting solution until I decide on (with your help) a lighting solution.

Livestock will be a pair of angels with some ditherfish and possibly a krib and a school of corys

Currently I have two 'shop lights' with reflectors on the top of the aquarium with 2 x 13w cfl (60watt equivalents) I know that the old wpg adage is outdated and useless so was looking to get some feedback on what fixture I should purchase for the tank (it's deeper than I thought it would be)

I'm new to this so I'm planning to stock with beginner friendly plants- java fern, java moss a few swords, etc)

Currently I have some hornwort and duckweed in the tank while I decide on aquascaping- hornwort is browning at the bottom and duckweed hates the power filter. I am not sure if the browning is due to inadequate lighting or just because it has just been added. (temp is a bit high too for hornwort I think- 78 degrees)

Any advice on a lighting solution? (DIY or out of the box)

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
Full dimensions and a budget would help.
Also hung or on tank?
What "luxuries" do you want/need?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the same tank. It should be 30"x15"x21"
My stocking is VERY similar as well. My tank has the original Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and it's not enough light in my opinion. My lower light plants are just fine, but my medium light plants show signs of needing more light. If I were buying everything again today, I would be saving for the Current USA - Satellite LED Plus Pro.

The CFLs you have should work for the plants you listed but there are better options at different price levels. Do you have any budget you want to stay within?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts