The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lighting for a 29g? (DIY?)

1212 6
It's looking like my 29 is going to be moving, and with that i would really love to upgrade the lighting when i do this, possibly hanging/high enough above the tank to have an open top with floating plants.

I'm completely clueless about lighting issues, so any suggestions about what kind of fixture is good.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you want your tank to be low-, mid-, or high-light? If you're going for a high light tank, you'll need CO2 and ferts. I have a Current Satellite 2x65W 30" strip light that sits over top of my 29g. 1x65W is also a good amount of light for the tank. It definitely has enough room for floating plants (I had a duckweed problem a month back).

Current USA on EBay sometimes has a refurbished light for about $60 plus shipping, but I don't see one available right now. I bought my light from them. It comes with legs to give you a couple inches of room above the tank. Coralife makes a similar strip light, but you'd have to get your own legs. You could also look into getting an MH that can suspend over the tank, but I don't know too much about them.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Coralife 1x65W is the one i have now, It's got the wrong default bulb but i can fix that. It's got the satellite legs on it i guess, but I would really love to have a hanging fixture, atleast a foot or two off the tank. What's an MH?

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, i found this thread in DIY, and it's pretty much what i want to do with my lighting settup, and was wondering if it would be possible to do that(hang it) with my current fixture, or if i should look into somthing else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.