The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the bulb, i just need to find the right box thing to put it in. what do i need exactly for it? i know for saltwater you need about 3-5 watts per gallon, is that true for freshwater too?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought the Coralife 24" Freshwater aqualight for my 20G H (24" length) and will have it sitting on my glass top. This will put me in medium light, so I'll need to use some type of carbon/CO2 supplement. I'll use Excel to start and supplement even that with DIY CO2.

I'd suggest the same light or dual T-8s, as Laura indicated, to keep the tank more lower maintenance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A 20L is 30" long and 12" deep.

You'll want a 30" fixture. Most 30" fixtures take 24" bulbs.

One T8 or T5NO on top on the glass would be low light.
Two T8s or T5NOs would be medium light.

T5HO would be too much light for a low tech setup.

You could use the bulb you have in a 24" fixture (they take 18" bulbs), but you would have less light on the ends. It would work ok though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A 20H is 24" long and 16.75" deep.

You'll want a 24" fixture. Most 24" T8 fixtures take 18" bulbs like yours.

One T8 or T5NO on top on the glass would be low light.
Two T8s or T5NOs would be medium light.

T5HO would be too much light for a low tech setup.

For the 24" size I would get the Aqueon (AKA Coralife) Dual T5NO fixture. They are available at Petsmart if you want medium/low light.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i saw them. they were more than $30. i have this one ballast for t5 bulbs, says 2 24 watt t5 bulbs. i just need to find the right t5 bulbs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah, i think i'll order one of those. how about ebay? do people have some sucess ordering bulbs off of ebay? and i got mixed up. the ballast sait 2 bulbs and it was a total of 24.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.