The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting a 150 gal 72x18x28 ins. I want to have a med to high light tank
i love the aqua scapeing i like the t5ho's just 2 watts per gal i would need at least 300-450 watts am i going to have to do a diy or does anybody have any suggestions:fish1:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think you would need only 4 or 6 39W bulbs. If you do six you will need to hang them about 6" to 10" above the tank.

It may be cheaper to DIY. Check out Reef Geeks to see what is available from the best fixtures out there. Hellolights.com has some reasonable DIY kits that are very powerful, almost as powerful as ATI fixtures.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A 6 bulb 6 foot light or a pair of 36" 6 bulb lights hanging about 24 inches above the top of the tank would give you about 40 micromols of PAR, which is enough to grow anything you want to grow. Your biggest problem will be supplying a good uniform level of CO2 to the whole tank of water. Supplying good CO2 is always a more difficult problem than light ever is.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoppy Seems pretty high for such a deep tank-, but you know way more than me and i never had a 150 before just trying to get everything right but 40 par is 40 par--
and yes thats my next venture how to defuss the co2 in the tank I plan on using a fluval 302 &402 canisters maybe i can defuss in line on both? I allways value your advice!
Bruce

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
CO2 discussion really belongs in a different forum, like the fertilizing forum, but when you have that big a tank it is the ability to circulate the water in the tank well, and get CO2 into that circulation pattern in sufficient quantity that determines how well you are doing CO2.

The height of a tank of water has no more significant effect on light intensity than the distance from the light to the point where you measure light intensity. Raising a light so it is 48 inches, for example, from the substrate will give about the same intensity if the tank has 12 inches of water or 48 inches of water. And, the drop in intensity is roughly proportional to one over the square of the distance from the light. So, you can use the chart in the sticky for a 54 inch distance by reading the intensity at 27 inches, then reducing it by a factor of 4. With 6 bulbs, close together, and at that great a distance, the intensity from 6 bulbs will be 6 times that from one bulb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.