The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am switching my aquarium over from a reef tank to a planted tank and I'm having color shock as I read the color bulbs you use that are soooooo different from the reef. :)

So, the current setup is 6 by 400 W MH bulbs and 8 by 4' T5 for dawn/dusk/accent lighting.

What would you color/brand of bulbs would you gurus suggest in this case as I transition over from the dark side?

BTW the tank is 32" deep.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to figure out picture posting here and put it up for kicks.

Fortunately my ballasts are adjustable so if I really need to scale back to 250 I certainly could. :) That is just so counterintuitive to the reefing mentality I might need a support group to help me get accustomed to the idea of "less" light. :)

The dimensions are 10' by 5' (front to back) by 32" tall.
My T5s are currently actinic for blue supplementation and "pop" of color. I imagine, I'll be changing these, possibly to bring out some of the reds.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I'll try to figure out picture posting here and put it up for kicks.
Easy to do. Take picture. Download to computer. When replying scroll down to bottom of page and click Manage Attachments > click Browse and choose the photo from your computer click Upload

BTW. There's an on going competition between algae and vascular plants. Algae grows faster. Too combat this buy lots of fast growing plants to start. Make sure at least 80% of the substrate is covered with plants. For plants see Plant Profiles at the top of this page.

Are you going to use CO2 ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas.
You guys are a lot less argumentative about lighting over here! :) On reefcentral I would have started a 100 post arguement with a vague question like "help with my lighting" :) Everyone in reefing has very strong opinions about light!

I just dont' want to try 3 brands of MH bulbs before arriving at a good bulb for growth.

The link to that huge tank looks like they were using 1000W MH, but the tank was 48" deep. At only 32" I have less depth, but still think 400W would get better growth.....?

I am planning on using CO2, just trying to figure out how to inject it well in to the current plumbing setup. I am thinking about running a diffuser into my overflow where it will then travel down to the sump and back up again. This should mix it in pretty darn well. Or I could run it directly into the main tank by running into the flex line return into the tank that has an eductor on the end of it. That should also allow for good dispersion into the aquarium.
Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.
You guys are a lot less argumentative about lighting over here! :) On reefcentral I would have started a 100 post arguement with a vague question like "help with my lighting" :) Everyone in reefing has very strong opinions about light!

I just dont' want to try 3 brands of MH bulbs before arriving at a good bulb for growth.

The link to that huge tank looks like they were using 1000W MH, but the tank was 48" deep. At only 32" I have less depth, but still think 400W would get better growth.....?

I am planning on using CO2, just trying to figure out how to inject it well in to the current plumbing setup. I am thinking about running a diffuser into my overflow where it will then travel down to the sump and back up again. This should mix it in pretty darn well. Or I could run it directly into the main tank by running into the flex line return into the tank that has an eductor on the end of it. That should also allow for good dispersion into the aquarium.
Thanks
Id split the co2 and have a diffuser on each side, 1000 gallons is alot of water...I run 6 bps on my 46 gallon, id hate to see how much that tank would use. How big is you're co2 tank, my 10 lb last me three months at 6bps.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't even know where to begin but first I'll pay the homage where it is due and to quote eres21
Hoppy is the lighting guru round here....
Also, aside from guru he has a multitude of threads that range from PAR levels at depth and what lights you will need, refraction and reflectors, and has he has covered lighting to a great extent in almost every possible situation so do some searching around here.

However, I love a good light conversation so lets get started :) A 32" deep tank, so is this 32" to the substrate or top to bottom glass? Your current MH is the way i would go. Allow me to explain myself here.

I don't know the cone o' coverage that is given with your MH lights but if they were running your reef I'm pretty sure that someone already mentioned that you can simply replace the bulb with a lower K scale bulb and just keep on trucking. The reef requirement is higher by intensity than a planted tank so those lights should work fine but I wouldn't want to deal with the heat and top off issues depending on the distance so I would raise them to at least 12" above the water if I could.

Not to mention that you already own them and light fixtures are fairly expensive.

The final point I have to make here is that reef owners are the purveyors of death when it comes to algae, water quality, temp, pH and calcium swimgs, GFO, activated carbon, and last but not least gravity. The attention to detail spent on ensuring that your 90 - 100 dollar bubble tip anemone lives far surpasses any issue you may come across in a planted tank. Consider what your doing 'easy mode' and have confidence that you will easily handle any plant growth issue that comes along.

Abe

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yeah I think the lights you have will be fine, you can change the height to get what you want. The hard part is going to be making sure your CO2 is well distributed through the tank.

I would definitely go with several inputs into the display with good water flow through out. Having CO2 from only one point will reduce the likelihood of even distribution.

This is going to be great though! Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the ideas.

Thanks
With a tank that size you don't want to unnecessarily waste CO2. It will be expensive enough. If you can you might want to consider by passing the sump. Heck, you may not need a filter either because the plants will filter the water as long as you don't over stock it with animals. I feel that the minimum size co2 tank should be a 20lb one. Perhaps two running at the sametime.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
If you carefully read the whole thread I posted there is a post in there somewhere about putting a whole lot of window screen down to dim the lights. 1000 watt MH was too much for even a 48" deep tank. Hoppy did a PAR test with window screens, I forget how much each layer dimmed the light, a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.