The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm working on a "client's" tank. The dimensions are 36" across (a little more than 36", but I'm assuming 36"), 16" wide, and ~30-31" tall. I'm not sure how aquariums are exactly measured? From the edge of the glass to the other edge? Or from the inside surface that actually holds water?

The closest conventional dimensions I found are a 90 gallon tall: 36" x 18" x 31"...

How the heck am I gonna light this up? I don't think he's going for carpet plants. Just vals, ferms, some stems, mosses, swords, crypts... I was thinking a 36" 4x39w Tek fixture would be enough. He'll be running pressurized. Since he's not much of a "constantly prune and trim" kinda guy, I think the Teks will give him enough light to maintain the plants but not give too much growth to them.

I'd rather go with halides, but they're hitting those big bucks. And if he gets algae, then I'll have to be the one to fix it. He doesn't believe in timers. I got him one anyways.

What's everyone think? MH + T5s or MH + PCs or just the Tek 3x39w?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
one hitter quitter..... coralife 36" double aqualight 2x96w total 192w over a 90gal gives about 2.1wpg

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I don't really know and to tell you the truth I have the above said fixture on my 30g long.

kind of an oddball size tank if you ask me and I would set it up with MH personally but you it sounds like he just wants low light plants so I'm sure the fixture would provide that much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the tank was 16" high, you would have 45 gallons in that tank.

2 watts per gallon (45 gallons X 2 = 90 watts) would then be sufficient.

This tank is twice that. It takes 4x as much light to penetrate double the distance.

So.....

Approximately 360 watts is what is needed (90 watts x 4 = 360 watts) to approximate 2 watts per gallon at a 16" depth.

The cheapest route would probable be two of the Coralife double aqaulight fixtures (96 X 4 = 384 watts).

Two of these fixtures would also provide an easy way to adjust the amount of light if necessary.

Best regards,

PMD

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if that's very correct. Say it was 4 feet deep. You just can't keep adding more fixtures to get the light to penetrate deeper. The depth of the water prevents light from reaching the bottom, no matter how many fixtures you already have.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i didnt think depth played a huge role in tank lighting, i mean the only difference between a 75g and a 90g is 4 inches, and i highly doubt that will affect the actual light hitting the substrate.

edit** i see the depth is 31 inches....i still dont think the depth would affect lighting. i could see with maybe a 10ft depth, but 31inches? I dunno, but i am merely speculating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Prove it to yourself.

Try growing glosso or HC with two watts per gallon at a 12" or 16" depth.

Now try growing those same plants at two watts per gallon at a 30" or 36" depth!

Regards,

PMD

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well, I have a 24" 65 gallon tank with the 4x39 Current-USA T5 HO Nova Extreme. I think you will prolly be OK, especially if you can pile in about six inches of gravel. You are talking Swords and Crypts etc. You're not pushing HC or Hairgrass. Just keep it simple. The Tek light will do it fine with at least 5 inches of substrate. I'd go two Current USA 6700 and two 10000Ks, if it was me. If you can hang the light pretty low with the Griplock suspension, so much the better.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has a bunch of clown puke gravel. He wants some "good" soil so I told him to get ADA AquaSoil. Why not? He can afford it. =P

So the ADA AS + his gravel should get me about 5 inches. =)

Should I go for the Teks 4x39w or the Current USA 2x96w?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tek is a more reliable fixture. Current makes a T5 HO called Nova Extreme which is a nice light with moonlights. And its a little cheaper than the Tek. I have both the Nova and the Tek and I like both. If you have to move the light yourself, or if its an issue for the client, the Nova is nice and light weight. T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights

And it comes with mounting legs and a very easy to remove acrylic shield.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Ah, but you will have to replace the two actinics!

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm. 156 watts of T5 vs. the 192 watts of PC. Even if the Current USA reflectors and inherently, T5 bulbs, are more effcient, the difference of ~40 watts might make them on par with light getting into the tank.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well, maybe the safe thing is to get the 192 watts in there. Not that huge of difference in a PC and a T5 HO, really. Too bad you can't just throw some sweet AHS reflectors on there. Thats a way better reflector than Currents...

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, maybe the safe thing is to get the 192 watts in there. Not that huge of difference in a PC and a T5 HO, really. Too bad you can't just throw some sweet AHS reflectors on there. Thats a way better reflector than Currents...
Definately. First thing I told him was either MHs or a 2x96w AHS kit. He didn't want a canopy.

Guess I'm going Coralife 2x96w then. Or Current USA. Whichever makes the 2x96w. =)

Thanks everyone for your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts