The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm pretty confused about lighting no matter how much I research it.
My 55 gallon is 48" across and 20" high with the light fixture 4" above the tank. I'd like to know what lighting would be best for it?
Currently I have baby tears, dwarf sag and amazon swords growing in the tank with a single T8 17W bulb, but I would like to convert to T5HO.

I was considering buying a single T5HO for medium lighting since I don't plan on using CO2 (or perhaps I might in a few months, not sure yet) but I'm unsure of the Watts to use.

Would a single T5HO 54W be too high or too low for the tank, or should I get 2, or a completely different wattage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a two bulb odyssey t5 fixture that works great with no CO2. My Amazon sword is huge and just sprouted two sets of rosettes and my jungle Val grows like mad. My dwarf sag has been very slow though over the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry but that wasn't very helpful. What I'm asking is would a single 54W T5HO bulb suffice for medium lighting, or would I need more?

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
Sorry but that wasn't very helpful. What I'm asking is would a single 54W T5HO bulb suffice for medium lighting, or would I need more?
Depending on the reflector and ballasts you are on the "cusp" between high low light or low med light..
Personally I'd go w/ low light..
40-ish PAR

That said, a lot more than you have now..;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts