·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the fixture recommended by others looking for a PC fixture on a 5.5 gallon tank, as 16 inches seems to be a bit of an odd length.

No idea on the reflector, but hoping the light will be sufficient for a 5.5 we're planning to set up.

Do you have a suggestion on anything else that works?

Retrofitting isn't an option as we don't have an original fixture to retrofit or the capabilities to build an enclosure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an 18 watt fixture over my 5.5 gallon. Well, it is a 2x18 watt fixture but I found that things got too intense when using 2x18 watts over the 5.5 gallon. 1 bulb over the 5.5 gallon grows everything fine for me, and I'm using pressurized CO2 as well. My blyxa japonica even gets those reddish-tints to it!

I'd say 1 18 watt bulb over a 5.5 gallon would be in the medium/medium-high light category. You should be able to grow pretty much anything with that light, provided the reflector is pretty good and you have a good source of carbon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Hopefully this reflector will be good.

This tank is going to be for an office so...probably not the pressurized route and just excel, but with what you said it seems that we should still be able to grow most plants in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts