The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently got a 45g rimless cube that is 24"x24"x18". I bought a 24" Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED (not the plus) to replace the T12 fixture that I am currently using (2x 20watts 24" using Daylight 6700K bulbs). The Current LED is so much dimmer than the T12's, so I am now using both on the tank. I am happy with the way that the tank looks and the way that the plants are starting to grow (tank has only been up for two weeks now). I just don't want multiple fixtures on the top of my tank (especially the bulky T12).

My question is, what lighting setup would work on this tank that would give me low/medium light and not make it so that I have to use multiple fixtures on the tank? I'd like to stick with the LED fixtures to stay away from having to buy bulbs every six months. Money is an issue but since I do have enough light to keep the plants happy for now, I can save up to get a really good light a month or so down the road.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one even has any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I know this forum is world wide but still most are at work this time of day.
It depends on what kind of plant "scheme" that you have in mind. You maybe able to use a shorter LED as long as it has the legs/brackets to span the 24". This may be appealing in more than one way. If you plan on a central focus point of rock or wood
with it being more or less an island in the middle/back of the tank you need no light at either side so for this scheme it would work well and save on the cost of the fixture.
I've tinkered/w the idea of a cube but feel it to restrict too much if I couldn't go
large like the one you have.
All this also depends on if you are going to use CO2 and of what type. I say this because it is easy to over do it on LED light if not using CO2.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+26107&pcatid=26107
That is an example of one that will accomodate what I said but it's PAR is low if
you want CO2 in your tank. The first one on the list will fit the 24" but have bulbs
mostly towards the center as it won't cover from one side to the other in bulbs.
But what type plant arangement do you have in mind ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this forum is world wide but still most are at work this time of day.
It depends on what kind of plant "scheme" that you have in mind. You maybe able to use a shorter LED as long as it has the legs/brackets to span the 24". This may be appealing in more than one way. If you plan on a central focus point of rock or wood
with it being more or less an island in the middle/back of the tank you need no light at either side so for this scheme it would work well and save on the cost of the fixture.
I've tinkered/w the idea of a cube but feel it to restrict too much if I couldn't go
large like the one you have.
All this also depends on if you are going to use CO2 and of what type. I say this because it is easy to over do it on LED light if not using CO2.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+26107&pcatid=26107
That is an example of one that will accomodate what I said but it's PAR is low if
you want CO2 in your tank. The first one on the list will fit the 24" but have bulbs
mostly towards the center as it won't cover from one side to the other in bulbs.
But what type plant arangement do you have in mind ?

This is the tank as it sits now (except that I add the Current USA LED after this pic was taken):

The only other thing that I will be adding is another broken urn and I'm just waiting for that to come from UPS (apparently it's stuck in Il right now due to a late arriving trailer). It is mostly planted in the back half of the tank with about 8 inches or so of the front being unplanted. Most of the plants are low light with a couple that are listed as being more of a medium light. I really don't want to do Co2.

My goal is to get to medium lighting and not use Co2. It was suggested to me on another forum to go with the Finnex Ray2 combined with the Current USA LED. I'm just looking for any and all suggestions.

P.s. The only reason I posted the ???? post was because not ten minutes after I posted this message here, I posted it to another forum and had a response in less than an hour. It had been over 24 hours since I posted here with absolutely no response.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts