The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been given a 35 gallon Hexagon tank for FREE by a co-worker and I am trying to figure the lighting situation out on this tank.

Here is what I have done thus far: the substrate is CaribSea Floramax(about 3-4 inches deep), the tank is cycling with a Betta :fish:, the filter is a Marineland Penguin 150 from an established tank with plenty of little bacteria critters. The water is neutral, and surprisingly there is no ammonia...yet.

What I want: I want to put plants in this tank which is why I put the floramax in. The problem is lighting. What type of light can give me a successful planted tank? Must I go with a 175W, 6500K metal halide pendant? (I hear that they get really hot). Or is there a T5 or LED unit that can do the job? I would love to go with LED, but I have never had that type of unit. I read mixed reviews on LEDs and am not sure if I want to spend money on a light that will not do the job. CO2 is not a problem. I am willing to buy another regulator, bubble counter, diffuser, etc. I have no idea of the type of plants that I want yet. I do like cryptocornes and ferns. I like the carpet look but am unsure if that is possible for me with the height of this tank.

Thanks in advance

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
how many watts? how many kelvin? 6500? What brand?
Search TPT - all your answers are already here.

Start with 2 18 or 24w. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc. Daylight @,5000K to 6700K. Ecosmart, GE, Phillips, etc. ~$10 for a pack of 4.

Maybe spend some more $ and get ZooMed Double Deep Dome Mini fixture for ~$20. No way to hang it? Check out ZooMed Large Lamp Stand, ~ another $20.

$50 total and you are 90% there.

v3

·
Registered
77 Posts
I switched to these recently and I am thoroughly impressed. I am running 3 23w daylight bulbs(may have to go lowew wattage or raise them due to my tank size). The difference in my plants in just a week has been amazing. whole setup including a 3 port extension cord cost me about $38 if i remember right. That Includes a 6 pack of bulbs off amazon :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
this was end of Nov and really not added any plants since them other than like 2 stems and a thing of java fern.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with the Kessil 150AW Amazon Sun. The plants are supposed to arrive tomorrow from AquariumPlants.com. I love this light! The shimmer is awesome. Hopefully this is a good light...the reviews are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts