The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lighting for 29g

1637 7
Hi guys. I have a 29 gallon planted tank and I'm trying to find a good carpet. Currently, I have a 2 x 24 w Nova SLR fixture over it. I was wondering if this was enough light and what kind of plants would be good for carpeting this tank fairly fast. I was also considering upgrading to a MH bulb but I'm not quite sure what to do...

If any of you guys have suggestions or advice, it'd be great to hear it!

Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
HC is a pretty good choice for a carpet, if your substrate is fine enough and you have the patience for it. 2x24W T5HO is plenty on a 29G, you're on the lower end of "high light" with that.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
HC is a pretty good choice for a carpet, if your substrate is fine enough and you have the patience for it. 2x24W T5HO is plenty on a 29G, you're on the lower end of "high light" with that.
I think that light fixture gives you near the top of the high light range, around 120 micromols of PAR. You will need to be very consistent and thorough with your tank maintenance, maintaining good water circulation in the tank, good water surface ripple, and above all else, good high CO2 concentration. If you haven't already done so, using the dry start method would be a very good idea, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that light fixture gives you near the top of the high light range, around 120 micromols of PAR. You will need to be very consistent and thorough with your tank maintenance, maintaining good water circulation in the tank, good water surface ripple, and above all else, good high CO2 concentration. If you haven't already done so, using the dry start method would be a very good idea, too.
What is the dry start method?

Also, why would you need to have good water surface ripple?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just still kinda new to all this...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
What is the dry start method?

Also, why would you need to have good water surface ripple?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just still kinda new to all this...
Dry start method is when you set up a tank, plant the carpet plants, and then put in only enough water to keep the substrate wet. Once the carpet grows in you flood the tank and there is no need to cycle the tank.

I think Hoppy's reference to the water surface ripple is to make sure there is enough O2 for the fish since you will need maximum levels of CO2 due to the high light.

·
Registered
21,007 Posts
Dry start method is when you set up a tank, plant the carpet plants, and then put in only enough water to keep the substrate wet. Once the carpet grows in you flood the tank and there is no need to cycle the tank.

I think Hoppy's reference to the water surface ripple is to make sure there is enough O2 for the fish since you will need maximum levels of CO2 due to the high light.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: What he said!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.