The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been sifting through posts about lighting , and it is a lot to consume ! I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the lights I have for my 27 gal 20wx18x18tall cubeish tank. The tank came with a marine land led fixture, and I just purchased a 24 inch aqueon t5 ho 2x 14 watt fixture with one white and one colormax.

Two questions:

1: the t5 fixture rests on the glass and has no supports to elevate it off the glass tank cover. Are there heat/ safety issues with this ?

2: using both this and the led fixture... Can anyone give feedback on my amount of light for a heavily planted tank( no co2, though am considering).

Thanks

·
Registered
696 Posts
I might be mistaken, but that looks like a T5NO fixture, bulb wattage indicates it's NO also. If it is a Normal Output T5 fixture, you should be fine with it sitting directly on the glass. The intensity of light should be fine for the tank also.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is clearly a 24 inch light, so if it has 14 watt bulbs it has to be a T5NO. And, those have poor reflectors, I believe. So, it should be giving you around 30 micromols of PAR, which is low light, but enough for a lot of different plants, especially if you also use DIY CO2.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depending on the resources I look at, I see it as anywhere between low to hi. This is the reason I'm glad to have input! I will do my first attempt at DIY co2.

If I run the t5 ho lamp with the led fixture, I bet I have enough to have fun with most plants. All I currently have is two types of crypts and some swords. I dosed my first ferts today. Co2 will be an awesome project for tomorrow!

Any further feedback is welcomed!

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.