The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently i have started a 20 gallon tank (24"w, 16"tall, ~12" long)
is this a 20g long or tall?
Anyways i have a deluxe hood with an 18" lighting fixture, problem is, the only light i can finds are 18watts
and i know that it's even less than 1WPG so i need to find a way to up the WPG
Currently, i have several stalks of anacharis and java mos tied to a piece of driftwood

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, to add another strip, i'll basically have to remove my current hood,buy a glass one (or make my own, just to add another strip light?
I want to add more light so the plants will grow faster

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
20 G Lighting

Hello Cokers...

You have close to 1 watt per gallon of tank size. That's enough to grow low light plants. There's a pretty long list of them, but if you want to grow most aquatic plants, then lighting in the 2 watt per gallon range is required.

I keep low light plants that include Java fern, Anubias, several varieties of Cryptocoryne and Hygrophila, Pennywort, Onion, Peace lily, Red ginger, Water wisteria, Indian fern, Singapore moss, etc. Anyway, you don't need a lot of light to grow a lot of plants.

B

·
Registered
736 Posts
So, to add another strip, i'll basically have to remove my current hood,buy a glass one (or make my own, just to add another strip light?
I want to add more light so the plants will grow faster
yep...just buy a glass hood or if you're up for some DIY, cut out a piece of clear acrylic.

If you want some faster growth you could also add a little diy co2. It wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Im with brad on this.
Get an 6500K or 6700K 18 watt bulb, do low light plants and you wont have to mess with your hood.

if you really want more light is your existing hood and light such that you can just remove half the hood and put a second strip in its place?

Both my 29 and 10 had a hood where the back half was just a flap that did nothing more than cover the tank, the front half had glass and the light. I never did it, but I could have removed the flap and stuck a second strip behind the original.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL actually, i did just make a DIY co2, it has yet to make any co2 however.
I actually have a spare fixure that i can use, except, where can i buy a glass hood?
I like having a feeding slot, makes feeding alot easier

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
LOL actually, i did just make a DIY co2, it has yet to make any co2 however.
I actually have a spare fixure that i can use, except, where can i buy a glass hood?
I like having a feeding slot, makes feeding alot easier
fish stores sell them or what I did for my 29 gallon was to get a piece of think plexiglass and cut it to the size I needed. Only downside is it starts to bend over time (like a slight curve after 2-3 weeks) to combat this all I do is flip it when I do tank maintenance I have a wash cloth I use with tank water to keep it clean. Works pretty well and cheaper than a glass top specifically made for a tank.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
but if i get a glass one, i'll have to find a space to put my current hood, and then buy a new hood.
>.< why can't they just make lights with more watts
cause then they would make less money, plus a large portion of the fish keeping population does not grow plants....its unfortunate

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok guys, i MIGHT try and make my own glass hood, gonna maybe make some notches in the corners for filters and such, and perhaps a sliding front (not really sure on this one), but question is, will the light strips slip off at one point or another?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, if im gonna make my own glass hood, is it possible to have a 24" strip light that can have 2 lights at once? my current ones (both the one im using and my spare) can only hold 1 light

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Are you going with real glass or plexiglass?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking about the strip lights sliding off.

There are quite a few dual 24 inch lights, the Coralife is pretty good. Lights here You might be able to find something at the hardware store that uses 2 bulbs in that size, a quite search only found 48" ones though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in the exact same boat as op. I've decided to stick with the single 18in fixture for the crypts that I have.
The question I have is related to the Kelvin rating recommended here. The bulb I bought was an Aqueon Floramax in the 5000K range I believe. Exo Terra and Zoo Med also have bulbs for plant growth in the same Kelvin range. Are they not optimal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I knew that, I prefer the color temp of 6500K. Wh do they brand the bulbs then as plant growing? They supposedly give off more red and blue?
Le: ok, so brief re-read and once again appears the light spectrum is the more important. I'll stick with what I have then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.