The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Setting up a new 180g for fish and some low light plants like java fern and similar. I was looking at the Finnex Fugeray Planted fixtures. Was thinking two 36" models over the whole length, but am unsure whether that will be too much light for those plants or not enough.:confused: As the plants won't be in the gravel, but attached to wood and rocks - I'm guessing 15-17 inches of water between roots of plants and light fixture; so less for the leaves.

If two 36" is too much - perhaps a single 48" fixture?:confused:

Would the Finnex 24/7 be a better choice? One of each?:confused:

Was hoping to add a third light of shorter length to allow for a sunrise/sunset effect - either the Finnex 24/7 or ?? I'm open to suggestions - just worried about having an algae problem.:confused:

And no, I don't usually do planted tanks except if you count duckweed...hmmmm, if the light is too bright, I could add some of that...

Thanks in advance for your advice everyone.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Is your 180 gallon tank 6 feet long by about 2 feet high by about 2 feet front to back? You need to know all of those before it is possible to make a good choice of lighting. With a 2 feed front to back depth you almost always need two rows of light across the length of the tank to get uniform lighting over the whole tank. A two foot high tank can get good lighting, about low medium to medium light, with Planted Plus lights, say two rows of two 3 foot long lights.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed, for that width of tank two rows of lights will be necessary...but the Planted+ should provide low to medium light levels and suit the demands of what you're keeping. The 24/7 isn't much higher output but if the ramping intensity features appeal to you, go for it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are other size 180g? Didn't know that - mine is the standard 6'x2'x2'

I don't think it will be packed with plants - probably a few big clumps spread across the entire front part of the tank with mostly rockwork/bogwood across the back. It sounds like using two 36" of the Planted+ for the front half of the tank will provide the necessary light for that portion, and a single 24" (or 30" or 36") 24/7 in the middle of the back half will give me the features sunrise/set I desire. - and not turn my tank into the hairalgae version of Gossamer (Hairy red monster) from the Bugs Bunny cartoon, "Hair-raising Hare."

Are there other Finnex lights that can do sunrise/set or are dimmable? Their webpage is either a little frugal with the information or none do either. (or I'm blind)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.