The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i want to get a few opinions on how much Kelvin do i need for 180 gallons, also is it Watts per gallon or kevin? if so how much would i need enough for make a nice carpet of glosso or HC. Currently i'm having a Power compact 220 watts Atinic Blue, i'm thinking of changing it to Completely day light 10,000K each. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
275 Posts
how come fews have told me that i need Kelvin more then i need the Watts for a nice growing tank?
The Kelvin is the color temperature. From what Ive gathered basically is just preference, but the actinic bulbs are not good for the plants. You want a daylight spectrum bulb. Ive used 5500K up to 10000K with good results. Im also growing a thick carpet of glosso w/exactly 3.2wpg(576 watts) I have a mix of 6700K and 10000K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yesterday i saw at my local fish store they had the new model of t6 12,000K of Daylight but its only 4ft long so you guys think i should buy it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
yesterday i saw at my local fish store they had the new model of t6 12,000K of Daylight but its only 4ft long so you guys think i should buy it?
Im sure someone will chime in that has a bit more technical info, but personally I wouldnt. I have always stuck with the 6700K area myself, and I have had great results. It puts out the right color for viewing(not reddish or to yellow looking) and the plants seem to love it. The 10000K and up are just to white and bright looking for me. Thats just my opinion though....:icon_wink

·
Registered
277 Posts
just remember u need at least 3 watts of light per gallon..so u do the math 3x180= 540 watts!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEE

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't think the wattage gotta do with anything, watts are just the how strong the current of electric needs to be burning up the light, I think the Kelvin really has more to be doing with it, it's not that i don't know how to do the math it's just that i want to think of an efficient way to save energy since Californias have already exceeded the limit of energy usage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
for my 180g i'm using 3x 175w se mh. i'm using hamilton 10,000K bulbs. i just put in a few plants, including some glosso. so far i have doubled (from 3 to 6 clusters) my glosso tester.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For a big tank, you may want to look into LED light. 3wpg for a 180g means 500watts for 8-10 hours plus your heaters. It adds up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a big tank, you may want to look into LED light. 3wpg for a 180g means 500watts for 8-10 hours plus your heaters. It adds up.
THANK YOU!!! now somebody finally understand me, no offend to anyone. I'm already using the Atinic blue which has atleast 6,500K of Daylight of 65watts so do you guys that enough or do i need to buy one more and change to daylight bulb of 10,000K each?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I learn that the hard way. Started with running 2 x 175w 6500k MH plus 2 x 140 VHO 50/50. That is 630watts, I also have 2 x 300watt heaters, plus a pump that with an output of 950gph. The utility bill was scary.

·
Registered
275 Posts
THANK YOU!!! now somebody finally understand me, no offend to anyone. I'm already using the Atinic blue which has atleast 6,500K of Daylight of 65watts so do you guys that enough or do i need to buy one more and change to daylight bulb of 10,000K each?
What I understood was that u were asking the difference(at first), and which out of the 2 were most important. Actinic is a poor choice for plants(ive tried). Now whether or not u want to run 3 wpg, thats up to you. As in the proper or good Kelvin rating, I would go with a bulb that is actually rated at a specific Kelving temp, so u know what ur using. Or u could just put it outside, and have free light......:icon_mrgr The cost of a tank this size is never ending, and unstoppable( if u want it to look good). Ive been expanding, adding to, and upgrading mine for over a year now.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Derick,
Please take a look here

Actinic light is used for corals, and should not be factored into your calculation.
LEDs are a great new technology, but you will find that the costs are extremely expensive, With time the price will come down, and I really look forward to that. BTW, did I mention they are expensive?

Now concerning wattage, yes it's a measure of how much electricity is used to generate the light, but it usually is a good indicator of how much light is being generated, *from the same type of lighting. Generally the WPG rule is for straight Fluorescent bulbs (T5s, T8s, T12s, PCs, not spiral screw ins!)

I'm not addressing MH since I don't know much about them other than they generate heat.

As far as efficiency, look into t5's, with a good reflector they put a lot of light in the tank, and run cooler than PCs.

BTW, if you plan on running 3 WPG in a tank that size, I hope you factored in the cost of a pressurized CO2 system, and I would run 1 without the other.

If cost is a concern, maybe low-tech tank with no low foreground to start, saves $ on light, need for pressurized CO2, etc...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You don't need nor want 3 wpg on a 180 gallon tank. At most 2 wpg with good reflectors.

And of course you need bulbs in the correct temperature range. 5500-10,000k. Avoid the actinic lights.

And remember that kelvin is not additive. Two 6500k bulbs don't make 13,000k.

So when you ask how much kelvin you need it's a question that really can't be answered.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I made a mistake by buying the Power compact Atinic Blue but it was on sale so i was thinking that i can change the bulb to Daylight only which is what i'm planning to do now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You don't need nor want 3 wpg on a 180 gallon tank. At most 2 wpg with good reflectors.
That is good to know Rex, I always assume a deep tank needs more light. So this is good news.

In my case, to have 2wpg, I can use my MH, which is 175w x 2 = 350w @6500k. The lumen output is 13000 lumens x 2 = 26000 lumens. Assuming perfect relector and no lost, I translated that into 15 lux per sq inch. That is at the surface before trying to penetrate 24" to the bottom.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is good to know Rex, I always assume a deep tank needs more light. So this is good news.

In my case, to have 2wpg, I can use my MH, which is 175w x 2 = 350w @6500k. The lumen output is 13000 lumens x 2 = 26000 lumens. Assuming perfect relector and no lost, I translated that into 15 lux per sq inch. That is at the surface before trying to penetrate 24" to the bottom.
Well, I have 3wpg on my 180 and it really is alot of work keeping all nutrients and c02 in supply. I may back it down a bit, and unless u want to be cleaning algae and trimming stuff every other day or so, I would stay at around 2wpg. my .005cents.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I have 3wpg on my 180 and it really is alot of work keeping all nutrients and c02 in supply. I may back it down a bit, and unless u want to be cleaning algae and trimming stuff every other day or so, I would stay at around 2wpg. my .005cents.
I used to have almost 3.5wpg for my 180g and you are right, keeping it all balanced was a bit or work, costly too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts