The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 150 gallon low to medium light planted tank 72" long
20" wide and 24" deep with a soilmaster select or turface substrate. I have a lot of 48" T8 strip lights that were given to me that I will mount to the hood. It will be approximately 27" from the bulbs to the gravel. I would like to know if anyone can recommend how many 32 watt bulbs would need to be mounted in the hood especially if you have had a similar set up that was successful. The plants will be mainly some that I'm growing already in some smaller tanks. I have anubias, crypts, sagittaria subulata, jungle val. There will be two canister filters and a small fish load.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
t5ho

Thanks for your replies. Since I posted this someone gave me a nice 48" 4 bulb T5 HO fixture with reflector. Would it be better to hang this in the center of the tank and use it or would it be better to stagger 6 of the 48" T8s?
I was thinking if the T5HO was too short maybe I could install some spiral compacts at the ends of the tank to fill in the foot of coverage I am missing at each end.
I have kept fish for years but am basically a beginner at planted tanks except for a couple of small tanks I've been playing with lately in my fish room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.