The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any compact or T5 fixtures for 10 gallon tanks? I've been searching online but haven't found any yet. Any suggestions? Can I use 24 in compact/T5's? <-- I'm not sure if that'll work out because of the leggings on T5 and Compact fixtures.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never seen a 20" T5 fixture.

A good cheap option to get higher lighting on the tank would be to use a regular incandescent 10gal hood and put U-shaped screw-in CF bulbs in instead.
:D Yep that's what I have. The lighting is very nice. But if there was such thing as a 20" T5 fixture, it'd give me more options where to place my HOB filter. Thanks though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There is the Current T5HO in 18", but they are the only makers of 18" t5HO bulbs, and they only come in saltwater (10k/actinic) flavor atm. I wrote the company a while back, and they claim they are releasing freshwater (67k) bulbs in feb.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an old hood with incandescent bulbs that I swapped out for spiral CFLs. However, the hood doesn't allow for much in terms of bulb size, so the only bulbs I could find were like 7w, which really isn't that bright. I might look into a hood that'll let me use wider bulbs eventually.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have an old hood with incandescent bulbs that I swapped out for spiral CFLs. However, the hood doesn't allow for much in terms of bulb size, so the only bulbs I could find were like 7w, which really isn't that bright. I might look into a hood that'll let me use wider bulbs eventually.
If it's this hood then you can remove the plastic covers and replace the reflectors with halved aluminum cans. I'm currently runnning 20w spiral cfls on mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.