The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I am new to the planted aquarium, I currently have a 10 gal aquarium that has an all-glass aquarium hood which as a 19 watt tube light. If I have my facts correct this is a low light setting, however I am hoping to jump into the moderate light group because I want to have a greater selection of plants. I am also on a college budget so I am wondering the cheapest way to get to the moderate lighting?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Walmart desk lamp around $10 6500k swirly bulb around $7 depends on how many watts. Just remember that with a swirly bulb, you get less light due to the twisting of the bulb.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
cheapest way to get moderate lighting over a 10 gallon is probably going to be two of the SL-201 each with a spiral CFL, I got those at Lowes Hardware for 7 bucks and then the cost of bulbs. I'd try to find 13 watt or 15 watt bulbs. I know at my Lowes they sale Sylvania 13 Watt, 6500K bulbs.

I'm assuming you are also planning on starting to inject CO2 if you aren't already?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies thus far..yes I already have a DIY co2 diffuser going that seems to be working thus far

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ive read an article awhile back about overdriving the fixture, but unless you know about electrical wirings and such, it could be dangerous.

If you want to go that route, look up ballast overdrive I think is what I looked for on google

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi! So I am new to the planted aquarium, I currently have a 10 gal aquarium that has an all-glass aquarium hood which as a 19 watt tube light. If I have my facts correct this is a low light setting, however I am hoping to jump into the moderate light group because I want to have a greater selection of plants. I am also on a college budget so I am wondering the cheapest way to get to the moderate lighting?
Take that hood back and get a refund if possible. Exchange it for the same sized incandescent hood and put CFLs in it. That will yield more than enough light.

Also gets rid of the annoying hum from the cheap T8 ballast.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts