The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon planted tank that I just started. I have a 130watt coralife CF light. And as you might have guessed, I am starting to grow algae on my Amazon Swords.

I can not afford a CO2 system yet, so I am staying with this lighting for now. How many hours per day should I run the light?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I would try cutting back to 6 hours. That should be enough to keep the swords alive and reduce your exposure to algae. You might want to try Seachem Excel or Yeast DIY for Carbon.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that would be an embassasing answer. probably 12-14 hours. I really need to get a timer so that I can have them come on later in the day so that we can have it lit up to look at when we are home at night.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Timer is a good idea, 12-14 hours is too long a photoperiod... x2 on the suggestion to add Excel...

The other thing that would help a lot is to get some floating plants to block some of the light, swords don't need a lot of light to do well, if the rest of your plants will grow well in lower light too the floaters can help quite a bit. Also if you can raise the light up higher it will cut light intensity until you can get a CO2 rig.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was putting this together, I thought that the 130watts would be considered low to moderate light for 75 gallons. When I get the CO2 rig, I will add another 56watts to the front of the tank.

I have:

6 x Amazon Swords
6 x Anacharis
1 x Wisteria
1 x baby tear
2 x (not sure of name) (looks like maybe micro sword or some type foreground plant like little grasses, but not too fine.)

Photos are at:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/94805-scotts-75-gallon-converted-planted.html

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You don't have high light on the tank, you were just running the lights too long. Get a timer or just manually turn them on and off as you come and go and I think you should be fine.

Algae growth is normal on sword plants, too, as they're such slow growers.

I'd make sure you've got good algae eating crew in the tank, if you don't already. Amano shrimp are my personal fav.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently, I have 16 zebra danios (some of Glowfish variety), 5 Cherrry Barbs, 6 Rainbow Fish (Bosemani) and 2 dwarf plecos. I am thinking about adding some oto cats also.

I'd love to add some shrimp, but I have been unsure of their compatibility with the fish I have.

I will get a timer this weekend.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
As far as I know 6 hours is about the minimum time recommended for keeping the lights on. And, I don't think many people use more than 10 hours with high light without running into algae problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts