The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Is there a calculator of some sort that can approximate how many hours of light for peek performance, prevent algae? Or is this simply trial and error / case by case?

Currently I run my lights in two shifts: 10-2pm (break) 6-9pm.

Attached is an approximation of my lighting with tank spec. (small tank / 5 gallon)

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't know where that calculator came from, but it doesn't include a factor for reflector quality, so it can't be accurate. The total time the lights are on can vary from about 6 to 10 hours and still work ok. The longer the time, the more likely you are to run into algae problems. See http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368 for a better way to evaluate your lighting intensity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on that link I believe my setup would fall under the high lighting category.

Per manufacture numbers I'm at about 209 PAR at 7" deep, so lets say 150. Not sure if that includes reflective or not, nor if I'm hitting the correct light spectrum. One light is 10,000K and the other is 8000K, with the 8000K being a tad more powerful.

I do run co2 but ordered a ph controller to help with algae and maintain a better balance.

If algae wasn't in the picture - is 10 hours better than 6 hours for plants? Faster growth? Healthier?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
One 13W CFL bulb is too much for that tank if left on for more than 7 hrs a day.
@ 6500K that is.
Can/will you list exactly which fixture and bulbs, including type like T5/T8 that
you have on this tank ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gladly

I only use LED's.

I have a custom made LED for my fluval edge, only available on ebay. The specs on the ebay listing are for a 3 white/3 blue LED, however, I purchased 100% white at 10000K. Below are the specs, but I can probably get more info if needed.

The second light is a panorama pro 8000k module.

Why do I have these lights? Well with a 6 gallon edge you get dark corners using the light under the cover. So an additional light was purchased to put on the front. I have a dimmer, that I don't use, for the ebay light. No dimmer for the Panorama - but those can be purchased.

My goal, and I don't give up easily, is to grow dwarf baby tears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts