The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a lighting disaster. Some how, I managed to rip down my hanging lamps and broke them all (and I thought my stand was idiot-proof - ha). They were two Archea 27w suspended over my three standard Aqueon 2.5gal tanks that measure 12" long x 6" wide x 8" tall. I've had great success using them with the DSM on these tanks.

I'm currently using these three tanks for the DSM (one glosso, one HC and DHG, one UG). So what the heck should I do? I have three of the Fluval "Mini Compact Power Lamps" - the 13w clip-ons that come with the Ebi and Flora. Since they'd just be about 8 inches above the substrate and there'd be no water involved to lessen the light that hits the ground, do you think I'd be fine using these lights for a month or two of DSM?

Or should I rush to the hardware store and pick up some 26w (I think that's what they are) GE 6500 daylight CFLs?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. Even if you feel the need to poke fun at me for breaking my neat lighting setup.

I rescue inverts from friends and locals who want to ditch them for whatever reason and plan to use these three little tanks as temporary quarters. Then I'm going to RAOK everything on TPT, so I hope everyone is prepared for me to beg them to adopt some critters.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can use very high light with the dry start method, since there is no threat of algae. I think I would visit Home Depot and buy 2 or 3 of these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 and put 6500K 23 watt CFL bulbs in them. If you decide to use a nicer looking light later, you can always use the work lights as work lights - I have mine installed above my garage work bench now.

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoppy--

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking re: the CFLs. Guess it's time to dig my old work lights like that out of storage and go snatch up some bulbs at the local mega mart.

Just thought I might be able to scrape by for a few weeks with just these little Fluval 13w lamps I've got as I try to repair my beautiful Archea lights.

Am determined to put those expensive little Fluvals to good use so maybe I'll put them all on the same tank and see what happens after a week or so.

I could punch myself for making such a clumsy mistake.

-Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.