The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two fixtures and I'm on the fence as to which one I should use. One is a hagen t5HO 2 x 39 W fixture. The bulbs are 1 giesemann tropic 6500K and 1 giesemann flora.

I don't have a par meter but according to this chart the hagen fixture sits around 40 par @ 20 inches which is the distance the fixture is from the lowest part of the substrate.

The LED fixture I have is a finnex ray 2 fixture 7000K. The par according to this chart is around 60 par as it sits over the tank.

In terms of par the ray wins hands down but I prefer the color I get with the t5 fixture and the giesemann bulbs

The spectrum of the ray2 offers a lot an of blue and a fair amount of green red and yellow. While the giesemann bulbs are both similar to each other show much more red and a lot less yellow.

I'm really not sure how all of these red green blue yellow ranges in spectrum affect growth but both the LEDS and Bulbs can grow plants so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

I have some plants that are considered "difficult" to keep. Everything I read on some of these plants say's it requires "High light" but there doesn't seem to be a clear conscientious as the what is considered high light.

I really would rather run the T5's but I'm afraid that the plants will not respond well to the T5's given the lower par reading.

right now I am using the finnex fixture.

Here is a list of all of the species of plants I am keeping in the tank

Eriocaulon Setaceum
Syngonanthus Belem
Tonina Fluviatilis
Bacopia sp. Japan
Alternanthera Reineckii 'mini'
Salivina minima
HC "cuba"
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Macandra
Ludwigia Arcuata

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had HO, VHO T5HO and Metal Halide, and nothing beats LED in terms of longevity. LEDs remain fairly constant for the useful life of the fixture, since new product obsoletes the current fixtures before end of life. Color aside, today's T5 output will not be the same at this time next year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had HO, VHO T5HO and Metal Halide, and nothing beats LED in terms of longevity. LEDs remain fairly constant for the useful life of the fixture, since new product obsoletes the current fixtures before end of life. Color aside, today's T5 output will not be the same at this time next year.
Don't get me wrong I love the finnex fixture but the color I'm getting from the t5's is much better ascetically. I'm thinking to use the t5's for the time being until I find a LED fixture that can display reds like the t5's. I'm only concerned that the T5 will not produce enough light for my plants

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Don't get me wrong I love the finnex fixture but the color I'm getting from the t5's is much better ascetically. I'm thinking to use the t5's for the time being until I find a LED fixture that can display reds like the t5's. I'm only concerned that the T5 will not produce enough light for my plants
just avoid single color LED's Fineex RayII is 7000k white LED's
Beamsworks are 6500k white leds..

Fluval will be much better in the color range:

it's only money.. ;)

https://youtu.be/mFkh2l_ygG0

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just order 2x36" Fluval Fresh/Plant 2.0 at 18" deep you'll get 66par from each light I order mine from SaltwaterAquarium.com at $159.00 each free shipping. I like these the best because you can turn them down if they are to bright.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got 2 with the intention of going to CO2 down the road. Right now I'm running them both at 60% besides the green which I have down to 30% and they are 20" from the top of the substrate. Dosing daily with PPS from GLA and Excel. After 2 weeks all is going fine besides my crypt which is melting But that will probably bounce back.

I love the ease of programming the timer and color but in my low tech setup there seems to be no major difference as far as growth with the change from a dual T5HO fixture.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just picked one up and set it up. I have it roughly 22" from the substrate. It seems to have a lot less light then my 2 x 39w t5ho fixture. Dunno could be the color spectrum. According to their website it should be enough light to grow what I have. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I love the fixture though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.