The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i have a 7gallons tank and have montecarlo as carpet grass and mini pelia on my bonsai tree. I have a Chihiros RGB A451plus led light (35W 1800LM), should i switch on the light for 7hrs with 100% brightness?

If not, could anyone advise what is the best duration and brightness?

Thanks in advance for your advice

·
Registered
347 Posts
Running a light between 6 to 8 hours seems to be the common consensus. I would start at 8 and work backwards if I needed to.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a chihiros RGB and I run it at about 30%

with a new light I would recommend starting with a shorter photoperiod and % and increasing a small amount every week or two so that you don't end up with a major algae bloom if you start a little too high or the plants need some time to adjust to the new spectrum. Maybe start around 6 hours and 30%. I had started around 30%, worked my way up to 50% and in the end backed off to 30% again so that I wouldn't have to trim the plants so darn often!

Remember light is like the gas pedal on the overall balance between plant mass, fertilizers/nutrients, CO2, and light. So if you step on the gas too hard at first you don't have any margin for error if that balance isn't perfect for the new lights.

good luck! hope that helped a little :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will know it's too much if you start getting a new outbreak of algae.
Ok. Thanks

with a new light I would recommend starting with a shorter photoperiod and % and increasing a small amount every week or two so that you don't end up with a major algae bloom if you start a little too high or the plants need some time to adjust to the new spectrum. Maybe start around 6 hours and 30%. I had started around 30%, worked my way up to 50% and in the end backed off to 30% again so that I wouldn't have to trim the plants so darn often!

Remember light is like the gas pedal on the overall balance between plant mass, fertilizers/nutrients, CO2, and light. So if you step on the gas too hard at first you don't have any margin for error if that balance isn't perfect for the new lights.

If start with low light, will it affect the growth of montecarlo, christmass moss and mini alternanthera reneckii?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts