The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well planted 120g tank, and this weekend my wife decided to show me the Coralife 48 inch lightstrip (using compact fluorescents) as they were far more bright and esthetic than my ungangly homemade canopy. So I bought one. It puts out 260 watts at 48 inch (uses 4 bulbs) and replaced the old fluoresents I had. With one light strip alone, on a 2ft x 2ft x 4ft x tank the results were immediate. My microsorium began to pearl crazy immediately. But the tank needed another strip.

Bought one yesterday.

With 2 strips on 120g, I cannot say how impressed I am. To say nothing that the light strips are compact, small and infinitely more esthetic than the box I had. I had an insight from my wife, a non fish person, and it made the greatest difference. I do CO2 injection, but with 2 strips, giving 520W for a 120g tank at 6700K, my plants pearl like I have never seen before. I swear that my Microsorium can float.

They say lighting is key, and I am here to tell you that once you get a good set, you see why.

All I can say is wow.

Like adding a supercharger to an already potent engine. I cannot wait to see the long term results.

I just bought some Crinium Natans, and they love light, and it is doing well. I will buy more, now that I have more light. And better light. It is bright, but not piercing. I will let you know on the long term.

·
Registered
706 Posts
thats alot of light for a 120g. i have one of those myself and run my 8x54w tek at 50% most of the time. i give it a full 432w burst only 4 hours a day and plants grow like mad with co2 and pps pro fert system. they dont pearl as much with only 216w but the constant stream of rising air bubbles got distrating after a while anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to me. The bubbles tell you the plants are photosynthesizing and are growing and using nutrients, thus, a healthy tank. And no worry on suffocating the fish with CO2. I love the bubbles. It tells me the plants are doing what God intended and I intend to allow this to occur. Not only does the O2 help the fish but it helps bacteria and stemms the flow of algae.

I am going to move soon and I will upgrade to a much larger tank. I think that 72 x 30 x 24 will be the next, and I am sure what the lighting will be. I know about T5 but the compact fluorescents are most impressive. The results are stunning. I cannot wait for the long term results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.