The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After not finding much out there which suit the lighting needs for my 55G planted, I have opted to go back to the good old standby of a 2 bulb shop light will grow most common plants. My question isnt really about the lighting, it is about the acrylic sheet I plan to use over the tank.

I dont have a glass top on this tank and given how narrow they are for a 55G I dont want to be hindered with the black strip. I felt that acrylic could be of more use especially if I decide to add a 2nd light down the road. I know the .08 acrylic is going to warp like mad. But how about the .22in thick acrylic? Will it stand up to the heat of a 64watt shoplight?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Acrylic warps both from heat and from absorption of water more on one side than the other. I believe even 1/4 inch thick acrylic will warp badly eventually. Are you planning on removing the black plastic strip that goes across, front to back, to reduce bowing out of the glass front and back? You can't expect to silicone acrylic to glass and use that as a replacement for the black strip. Even the silicone made to be used with acrylic doesn't adhere well enough to acrylic to let it be used that way.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the black hinge that is on many versa tops..on a 55G top the section for the light to sit on is never wide enough for most light strips. I would never attempt to remove a center brace from a standard tank, their glass is just too thin without it.

I was looking to a solid acrylic top as it would offer more light penetration and not have that black hinge which would give me more space for lighting options. I could also custom fit it to my equipment. My question was how badly would the .22" thick acrylic bow and what could I do if anything to prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rather than mess around with acrylic , which will eventually warp even at .25 thick as Hoppy said , why not trim the hinge on a versa top so instead of a continuous piece of hinge , you only have maybe 3 or 4 inches on each end plus an amount equal to the width of the center brace in the middle ?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...excellent idea I had not considered that! Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know you may have found a solution but wanted to add that I have .50 acrylic on my 55 and even that bows. Mine is an in wall tank so only I see it but still.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah if the .5 bows this still will certainly bow as well. I had used the .08 many years and it bowed very bad. However I had hoped the thicker acrylic would remain resistant to the heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts