The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Ive been watching the forums for some time and have been highly impressed with the amount of information here. Im looking for help with lighting for an acrylic tank I had built to fit in my house. Its an awkward shape -- about 55 inches long, 12 inches wide across the top, and 24" tall. Its not a rectangle, but angled in two spots (picture 3 sides of an octagon) and probably holds about 130 gallons. Im planning on a heavily planted freshwater setup with CO2.

Does 300 watts sound about right? The problem Im having is finding lights that fit onto the a tank thats only 12" wide. I was plannning on CF (but not locked in) and would like to come in under $300. I figure Ill need three separate light banks (one long one wont fit the shape of the top).

Options:

1) Coralife - 1x96W (quad) on each end and a 24" 2x65W in the middle. This seems to be the best size fit but people have exactly been raving about the Coralife reflectors. Id like to make sure enough light makes it to the bottom of the tank.

2) AH supply - Better lighting and I could make some enclosures, probably two 2x36 and one 2x55 would fit but with the wider reflectors the housings would nearly cover the entire top of the tank.

Any other options or opinions to deliver for adequate lighting for this tank which is relatively narrow across the top?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The AH Supply reflectors are about 4" wide. The enclosures AH Supply sells are 9.75" wide. They easily hold two reflectors yet leave room at the back for equipment runs.

I would try and stick with one size bulb. Makes keeping a couple of spares a lot easier.

BTW, your tank is not much narrower than the standard 55 gallon tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think Ill go with AH supply and fab the housings myself. Ive read too many good things about about their lighting not to try them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts