The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of an oddly shaped tank, so I really have no idea how to light it. My plan is to create an iwagumi with an HC Cuba carpet, just to give you an idea of the type of plant I want to grow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Window Fixture Flooring Floor Composite material

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
411 Posts
First of all, this is a cool tank.

I would go with a 24"-26" good quality LED like Fluval 3.0 or Finnex ALC. Looking at this I am guessing you're going to want quality. Those lights won't have to be kept at their optimum settings by any means so they should last you years and years. Plus fully programable and again, going to guess whatever is going in you want to display well. These lights will give you fully adjustable lighting and plenty of coverage/power for a carpet. Timers have 10 points to adjust at for Fluval 2.0 Aquasky and the Fluval 3.0 Planted lights. I believe it's similar on Finnex, main difference is Fluval is on phone app.

There are other options, but these are lights that I use and enjoy immensely; I use Fluval, again Finnex are pretty equal as far as power, light schemes are a bit different though. For this length you're looking at $85-150 depending on where you look, Fluval is a bit higher in price. I have found some good deals on Ebay. Though they aren't there that often. Usually I buy one there and it sits until I change up a tank.

And then I am sure there are nano clip ons you can get 2 or 3 of that would work. Hanging lights too, these I don't know much about though. Other than making Fluvals hang. :)

PS, with these lights unless you get a light that is 28" or something you'll want to raise them a little to catch the sides. For this reason I hope someone knows about nano/hanging lights as I am sure there are some with better focal points than these I mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all, this is a cool tank.

I would go with a 24"-26" good quality LED like Fluval 3.0 or Finnex ALC. Looking at this I am guessing you're going to want quality. Those lights won't have to be kept at their optimum settings by any means so they should last you years and years. Plus fully programable and again, going to guess whatever is going in you want to display well. These lights will give you fully adjustable lighting and plenty of coverage/power for a carpet. Timers have 10 points to adjust at for Fluval 2.0 Aquasky and the Fluval 3.0 Planted lights. I believe it's similar on Finnex, main difference is Fluval is on phone app.

There are other options, but these are lights that I use and enjoy immensely; I use Fluval, again Finnex are pretty equal as far as power, light schemes are a bit different though. For this length you're looking at $85-150 depending on where you look, Fluval is a bit higher in price. I have found some good deals on Ebay. Though they aren't there that often. Usually I buy one there and it sits until I change up a tank.

And then I am sure there are nano clip ons you can get 2 or 3 of that would work. Hanging lights too, these I don't know much about though. Other than making Fluvals hang. :)

PS, with these lights unless you get a light that is 28" or something you'll want to raise them a little to catch the sides. For this reason I hope someone knows about nano/hanging lights as I am sure there are some with better focal points than these I mentioned.
Thank you for taking the time to answer! You're definitely right that I'm going for quality here. You are spot on with the fact that I would need to raise an on tank light like this.

The ones that are long enough won't leave enough of the top of the tank open I think. I have a finnex hcl on a 20 gallon long, and it's about 4 inches wide which will probably leave less than an inch open on each side of the tank, which may cause issues. Hanging it would definitely be an option though, so thank you for the advice. I'm interested in the fluval 3.0 because of the phone app as well.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
411 Posts
Well I run a Fluval 3.0 and multiple Fluval Aquasky 2.0. feel free to ask specifics about those models.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts