The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old (15y/o+) 60x30x30 cm that I'd like to refill with lots of plants, some carpetting and do some kind of dyi bonsai aquascape.
The tank has a lid with a built in tubing system (438mm long) that I might replace with plexiglass, depending on which lamp I get.
I'm going to add a DYI CO2 jelly system.

I have researched for some time on what type of lamp would suit my need, but I lack experience to decide.
I would love a thick and lush carpet like montecarlo and some red plants.

So my questions are, for such a tank, what would you recommend?
Would a T5 like TROCAL T5 Amazon-Day 24W 438mm work? Would it even be compatible with the sockets?
I found the twinstar light III 45b that could work.
I considered the chihiros WRGB 2 SLIM, but I read here that it might be overkill for 30cm height.
Also, an important point is the tank is at eye level next to my work station, so if I get the chihiros or any mounted light, it might directly shine into my eyes. (eye strain? headaches?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I'm sure you could find something to fit in that lid, but honestly if it were me, I'd just ditch the lid and go with a different light. You have a lot of options. Lightbars like twinstar or chihiros, or point source light like AI Prime and Kessil. With lights like chihiros that has an app for control you can turn down the strength of the light pretty easily if you find it too bright.

I know what diy co2 is, but what is diy co2 jelly?

Looks like a fun tank, welcome back to the hobby!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks !

The Jelly method is basically the exact same thing as the basic method, but the advantage the jelly offers is that it will slow down the consumption of sugar from your yeast colony, so you don't have to replace it as often.
I followed this guide, and added another empty bottle as a buffer for the inevitable foaming at the start

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.