The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read I am needing 2-4 watts per gallon for any sort of carpeted plant. I currently have a 10 gallon tank with a single T8 15w Floramax bulb. I am wondering what sort of plants I will be able to grow with this with / without CO2.

Also wondering if I should get the hood replacement which would allow for 2 T8 bulbs, Finnex 24/7 planted+, or stick with what I have.

Currently only have a Java Fern, Anubias, and some swords that I plan on getting rid of when they overgrow or putting them into a larger tank. But I would like to get into some carpeting possibly like dwarf baby tears, hairgrass, dwarf hairgrass, or clovers.

Fairly new addition to the plants so havent been able to see how they are reacting to the single bulb. If I decide to add CO2 I may want to add some reds in the future as well.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
819 Posts
That T8 bulb would put the tank in low tech range, and definitely can grow low light plants that you have.
If you want some carpet, then you should switch to high light and add CO2 system later. You can also have open top tank with no hood. I love mine open top, easy to maintenance but could get fast evaporation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would the Finnex 24/7 planted+ be overkill for the 10 like I would 100% need CO2 with it if I have a versa top? Or what sort of lighting am I looking at with 2 T8 bulbs more like moderate to high at that point? I only ask because my hood has an extension that I can get that has 2 bulbs or even LED lights built into a hood. Easily willing to do one not part of a hood though. If I do a floramax and a full spectrum for the T8?

Really looking to get into planted and read the entire article above a few times was a good one thanks goodbytes but all my knowledge is reef tanks at the moment and my reef lighting is usually overkill for planted from what i have seen.

I have seen a lot of mention of like Home Depot CFL bulbs that work well too but i would like to stick to a more slick look a hood that goes with the tank or a versa top with an LED or something over it.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.