The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put together a 5.5g nano. i want glosso, dwarf sag, and watersprite in the tank. thats it. i will be making a hood myself. what's a good light level for this sized tank with these plants? im going to do DIY CO2 and ferts. i was pretty much going to build a hood and paint the inside white, then attach two normal screw-in fixtures and use a couple spiral compact flourecent bulbs. what wattage should i go for in such a small tank?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have 20W over my 5.5g in a hood I constructed. No CO2, no ferts so far, and other than a bit of a bga problem and slow growth in a few other plants related to my nitrate deficiency, everything seems to be going pretty well at about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wanted to go high light, i was thinking more like 30-40 watts... i chose to do two lights since the tank is 16" long, one light in the middle would make for a spotlight effect in the center and darker around all the edges.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got two 6500k 20 watt spiral CF bulbs today. hopefully they will make everything happy. gotta wait until Wednesday to get my tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts