The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always really am terrible at growing plants but yet every few years decide I'm going to try again. I have an idea in my head for this tank I've got but not sure how feasible it actually is. Plan is to go high tech with CO2 and a proper substrate, but if I can't figure out lighting I'll probably walk away from the idea.

Tank is 10'x2'x30" tall. It is an acrylic tank with openings that aren't huge, so some of the light will need to go through the top unless I do three pendants over the openings, but that would limit the areas I can plant I'd think. I'm OK with some spotlighting, I don't need every place in the tank overflowing with plants, but I'd like to be able to grow high light plants.

I'm familiar with both Ecotech Radions and AI Primes, but not sure either will be strong enough to give me good growth?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I always really am terrible at growing plants but yet every few years decide I'm going to try again. I have an idea in my head for this tank I've got but not sure how feasible it actually is. Plan is to go high tech with CO2 and a proper substrate, but if I can't figure out lighting I'll probably walk away from the idea.

Tank is 10'x2'x30" tall. It is an acrylic tank with openings that aren't huge, so some of the light will need to go through the top unless I do three pendants over the openings, but that would limit the areas I can plant I'd think. I'm OK with some spotlighting, I don't need every place in the tank overflowing with plants, but I'd like to be able to grow high light plants.

I'm familiar with both Ecotech Radions and AI Primes, but not sure either will be strong enough to give me good growth?
Both lights you mention can be strong enough depending on the model but you will need I think 5 of them to get coverage. You will also need to consider fertilizer and your water parameters (specifically ph, gh/kh).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ferts are not a problem, I had planned to use an Apex to control a lot of the system, easy enough to add a doser to it. Parameters I'd need to double check, haven't run them in a while as last few systems I've done RO and adjusted as needed.

I'd be willing to go the AI route, but I believe the biggest they make for FW is the Prime 16. Five of them wouldn't be terrible, but would that be strong enough?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Ferts are not a problem, I had planned to use an Apex to control a lot of the system, easy enough to add a doser to it. Parameters I'd need to double check, haven't run them in a while as last few systems I've done RO and adjusted as needed.

I'd be willing to go the AI route, but I believe the biggest they make for FW is the Prime 16. Five of them wouldn't be terrible, but would that be strong enough?
Partway down the page is the par image at 24 inches depth:

The middle is 86 par the outside looks like 50ish. Even taking into account the extra depth this should be good for medium to low light plants without issue.

Another light to consider are Kessil 360X Tuna Suns. They 'might' be more powerful if that is a concern, but honestly I had trouble finding par reviews. I believe the ecotech xr15 pro line are even more powerful and given their spread I believe you can get away with 3 of them.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Ecotechs cost an arm and leg for that tank once you figure in controllers/ mounts.
Roughly 2x stronger than an ai.

2 of those, though more limited color/ channel wise is prob. your best cost/power.
Keep in mind you need to consider actual output not "theoretical".

2 are about 600w. Same-ish as 5 radions.
Personally I'm hoping for them to upgrade them to the new style. The radions.
Nothing would bug me more than have them change it right after spending big bucks.
And if they don't I lose respect for them.

Puts them off the table for me.

Matter of fact I decided to ask them.
Will followup if I get a response.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
RESPONSE from Ecotech...

(EcoTech Marine)

Mar 29, 2021, 8:37 AM EDT

Jeff,

Thanks for following up and I will be sure to send your email to our engineering team.

Sooo don't hold your breath for upgrades to the freshwater Ecotech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.