The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon tank with 130w of pc lighting. So far everything is going ok I have mainly low light plants jungle val ,crypts, anubias, java ferns, and micro sword. I already have a c02 system and was running it till the tank ran out. Growth has slowed since but the plants look ok. Im looking to add a little light to expand my options. Hd has two bulb t8 lights for a good price. If I add the new fixture and start running my gas again could I grow some more light demanding plants like rotalla and tiger lotus. I also want my micro sword to fill in more so I was thinking about moving my pc light directly over my foreground and using the t8 light for the taller background plants. Do you guys think this would work well?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just for reference I have a Catalina 4 bulb HO fixture outfitted with 4 T5NO, not HO, and I have to do a major trim weekly. Non-limiting fertz per EI and about 30ppm CO2. Substrate is MTS capped with flourite black sand.

Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I should have been more detailed in what I was looking to acheive by adding more light. Right now I am considered in the upper range of low light. Im basicaly trying to get to what is considered the medium light range. I dont want to trim all the time and dose ferts everyday. Im basically looking for a setup that will expand my plant options a bit and help out my foreground plants. If all I have to do is raise my c02 levels and dose a few times a week that is perfect for me. Im guessing a couple t8 bulbs would be about right to give me that extra oomph to grow more plants. Im just looking to see exactly how much a couple 4ft t8 bulbs would raise my light levels. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The t8 fixture also looks like it is your run of the mill basic parabolic reflector for both bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts