The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've had my 75g setup for almost a month now. I currently have 2 T8 fixtures both with two bulbs (diamond workshop).

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting for more flexibility with dawn/dusk and dimming.

I'm looking for medium to slightly high light. Maybe 50-60 PAR at the substrate with an even layer of lighting front to back.

My thoughts so far:

2x 48 inch current freshwater + and 1x 48 inch stunner 8k
2x 48 inch finnex planted + and 1x 48 inch stunner 8k

I'm not set on the 8k stunner strip. Maybe a Blue + magenta, but that would lower par, and increase coloration.

The 2x finnex should give a par of about 50 I hope throughout the bottom of the tank

The 2x current + may not obtain those values, but with the stunner it might.

The other option would be to use a nicer quad T5 HO that has the ability to dim, and turn off bulbs separately. I would like some suggestions on a nice T5 HO before I make my decision.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why not just one BML? This with the light adjusted to about 75-80%. One BML is about the cost of 2-48" Finnex.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey, I'm thinking about going with two dual t8 fixtures for my own 75 gallon. Was only looking for medium light. Can you tell me how it worked out on your tank? Seems like with 4 bulbs and decent reflectors should give you decent results.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hey, I'm thinking about going with two dual t8 fixtures for my own 75 gallon. Was only looking for medium light. Can you tell me how it worked out on your tank? Seems like with 4 bulbs and decent reflectors should give you decent results.
I run T8s on my 55 gallon and they seem to work okay for growing my floaters but, the light doesn't seem to be too bring down at the substrate, so you might not be able to get high light out of these, but you can probably get medium to medium-low lighting. I use a cheap shop light from the hardware store and bulbs from there and they work fine for growing all my floaters.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just one BML? This with the light adjusted to about 75-80%. One BML is about the cost of 2-48" Finnex.

Hey Jrman. I'm going to take the advice of you and others and get a bml 6300/igummi/10k planted. Haven't decided on the spectrum yet. What spectrum are you running?

What optics are you using? 90 degree hung 4 or so inches above?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts