The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 75 gallon "kit" from my local LFS just because the price was to good to pass up. The kit included the Aqueon glass tops, which I am using, and an Aqueon Opti Brite LED light. Not a fan of the light, I attempted to grow an Amazon Sword in the tank and it just lays flat and looks rather pitiful. In addition, I am not a fan of the build quality of this light, it sags across the middle.

Therefore, I am looking to upgrade my lighting so I can start adding plants. I prefer the easy plants, swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, etc.

Which light, or lights, do you all recommend?

Side note, I will not be using C02 on this tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a 75 gallon "kit" from my local LFS just because the price was to good to pass up. The kit included the Aqueon glass tops, which I am using, and an Aqueon Opti Brite LED light. Not a fan of the light, I attempted to grow an Amazon Sword in the tank and it just lays flat and looks rather pitiful. In addition, I am not a fan of the build quality of this light, it sags across the middle.

Therefore, I am looking to upgrade my lighting so I can start adding plants. I prefer the easy plants, swords, crypts, anubias, java fern, etc.

Which light, or lights, do you all recommend?

Side note, I will not be using C02 on this tank.
After reading 2Hr Aquatics lighting section (two or three times) and journal threads on the tanks I like I went with a 4 tube T5 florescent light (only running two tubes at this point). I like the LED lights but to get the output and spectrum needed seemed too expensive for me. I'm about $200 in and have plenty of light and what seems to be good plant growth. The light fixture isn't pretty but it does the job.

75 gallon Aqueon, co2, and Thrive all in one ferts.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good choice going with T5s. You now have enough light to grow anything, however too much light for the plants you mentioned. If you stick with those plants two bulbs is enough. Like the response above I also dont use a top; they're unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I am leaning towards the Finnex Stingray Series. Would 2 48" models of the original stingray be enough?

I want plenty of front to back coverage. Should I consider the planted+ 24/7 models instead? I have timers on hand, and I don't care about any other fancy features on lights. I want power on and power off.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Right now I am leaning towards the Finnex Stingray Series. Would 2 48" models of the original stingray be enough?

I want plenty of front to back coverage. Should I consider the planted+ 24/7 models instead? I have timers on hand, and I don't care about any other fancy features on lights. I want power on and power off.
New-ish Stingray II is 2x more powerful than the orig stingray.
$160-ish for 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I think I will just order two of the 48" models and give them shot. Appreciate the comparison link as well. Good info!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still shopping for a light. Almost pulled the trigger on 2 48” Finnex Ray 2 fixtures, upon more research seems like that is to high light for what I’m doing.
Anyone have any more recommendations? Low tech, no co2, excel will be used and an all in one fert (thrive most likely.)

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
Still shopping for a light. Almost pulled the trigger on 2 48” Finnex Ray 2 fixtures, upon more research seems like that is to high light for what I’m doing.
Anyone have any more recommendations? Low tech, no co2, excel will be used and an all in one fert (thrive most likely.)
Just add dimmers. Manual ones add about $6 per light
A "complicated" way if doing it but an example:

SOME reason he states dimmer doesn't work w/ Stingray II.
ODD..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.