The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going for a simple, relatively stress-free setup. I'm planning on getting a 1x55 bright kit from ahsupply for my 54 (27" radius, 23" deep, 38" bow). Will this give me a balanced setup?
Will I be able to grow anything?
If so, what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This is a very timely question. I just finished doing some more measuring of light intensity with AH Supply lights, and reported in here in a new thread. To answer your question, no, you wouldn't be likely to be able to grow much of anything with a single AH Supply light on that tank. Even directly under the light the intensity would be only good for low light plants, but a single light wouldn't give nearly enough uniformity of light over the whole substrate. I think I would look at about 3 of those lights, maybe two 55 watt and one 36 watt, so they would be about 6 inches apart. That would let you grow low light plants, for sure. Or, you could use 2 - 2 bulb fixtures and be able to grow most plants, providing you also use pressurized CO2, adjusted to give the optimum concentration of CO2 in the water. If you mount the light kits in a fixture you can suspend above the tank, you can use more light, then raise the fixture to improve the uniformity of the intensity, and reduce or increase it as needed.

A HQI suspended fixture might be the best choice for the shape of the tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Hoppy.

Since the tank is in a smallish living room, I want the light to be sitting on the glass (or enclosed) so that I don't have light spilling out as an annoyance. I know this will have adverse consequences in terms of light distribution, but I'm going to have to deal with it.

I don't think I can fit 3 bulbs within my parameters. How would a 1x55 + 1x36 do? Or a 2x55?

On another note, would you recommend a T5HO setup?
If so, do any of the ebay vendors sell decent products? I saw someone selling Odyssea setups on the cheap. My guess is that they probably are cheap.

My only other experience was with a straightforward 55 gallon with pressurized co2 and an AH 2x55 kit. This tank makes for a goofy setup.

Any other recommendations that don't involve pendant or otherwise elevated lighting would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Thanks for the response Hoppy.

Since the tank is in a smallish living room, I want the light to be sitting on the glass (or enclosed) so that I don't have light spilling out as an annoyance. I know this will have adverse consequences in terms of light distribution, but I'm going to have to deal with it.

I don't think I can fit 3 bulbs within my parameters. How would a 1x55 + 1x36 do? Or a 2x55?

On another note, would you recommend a T5HO setup?
If so, do any of the ebay vendors sell decent products? I saw someone selling Odyssea setups on the cheap. My guess is that they probably are cheap.

My only other experience was with a straightforward 55 gallon with pressurized co2 and an AH 2x55 kit. This tank makes for a goofy setup.

Any other recommendations that don't involve pendant or otherwise elevated lighting would be appreciated.

Thanks.

That is an arrangement that should give you medium light, and if you remove one of the 55 watt bulbs, it should give you low light. One of the two arrangements should let you grow what you want to. Of course having pressurized CO2 makes it a lot easier to grow anything.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One final question Hoppy.

Would co2 be beneficial in a 1x55 + 1x36 or would it be a waste.

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't think CO2 is ever a waste. Even for low light tanks adding CO2 increases the growth rate of the plants, and makes it much easier to grow other than the really low light plants. You don't need to shoot for the highest concentration of CO2 the fish can accept, if you have low light, just having half or even less of that does a lot of good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke too soon about it being the final question. I hope this one is. I see that you use catalina lights. Would I be okay with a 24" 2x55 setup boosted only with excel? Not too much or too little light?? Of course it won't spread perfectly.

I bet you're getting annoyed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts