The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...lights are typically 2' or 4' . . . I have a new 36" 30g tank that I'm setting up. I'm looking to run about 70-100w.

I have the ghetto 35" fixture it came with that I can gut and use. If I get an AH Supply 36w kit, I could combine it with one I already have for 72w. But I was sort of hoping to keep the AH light intact for future use if possible.

So... any suggestions for a 3' light about 70w and relatively cheap ~$75? I don't need high wattage, but full coverage is important.

Also, I'd really like to keep this tank open top. So, if I buy a fixture outright, then it needs to be mountable.

And if I go with the 2x36w AH kit, does anyone know a simple, sturdy DIY plan to make legs for standard hoods?

Thanks in advance you knowledgeable creative folks!

regards,
joel

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yonp11. It's good to know that coralife makes this length. I have their 130w 48" on my 75g and I'm not a huge fan...the reflectors aren't that great and the legs are pretty rickety...I'd be uncomfortable with the fixture over an open top tank with those legs....zap!

Any other ideas?

·
Banned
582 Posts
I'd be uncomfortable with the fixture over an open top tank with those legs....zap!
You're tellin' me! I have a 36" CoraLife PC over my 30 long--open top! I thought I'd have problems, but none really...so far. I take extra care when I am working in the tank.

·
Registered
64 Posts
here is another Compact flourescent 96 watt light to check out, that is not coralife. I came across this when I was looking for my new tank, but I have never used one so cannot tell you anything about it.

big als online

The big als online has a nice selection that can give you a very good idea of what is available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.