The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up everyone.
Ok so Trying to decide on the best Lighting for a 240g long tank. The tank is 8'x2'x2'. I really want to go LED (don't have time to go Diy to many other projects.) But I have a finnex 24/7 on my 75g. How ever I need to keep this low budget, but what would you recommend for a 2' tall and 2' wide tank. so what would you recommend for a medium light dirt tank No Co2.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Probably use two of the 48" Green Element EVO lights with the 3w LEDs. They are about $100 a piece. They should come in a 6500K model marketed towards plants. I'd suspend it above the tank to get a more uniform front to back spread. With a 2' wide tank, you run into spread issues at the surface. I think the light should be fine at 24~30" to substrate for a low tech tank.

I had great success with 13W spiral CFL lights in dome shop lights at 32" to substrate, if you want another cheap/temporary option while researching/building/budgeting a LED setup.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I thought about for cheap temps doing 4 dual bulb shop lights from home depot. wont cost me much. and then I can replace each fixture slowly until they are all replaced. If my truck stops having issues. I wouldn't have a problem getting stuff done. But I have no problems doing dual led fixtures side by side. just get one at a time over a course of a year or so..

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
yeah I thought about for cheap temps doing 4 dual bulb shop lights from home depot. wont cost me much. and then I can replace each fixture slowly until they are all replaced. If my truck stops having issues. I wouldn't have a problem getting stuff done. But I have no problems doing dual led fixtures side by side. just get one at a time over a course of a year or so..
consider some of the new LED 4' shop lights..3000 lumens at 4000k
"If" you can find them on sale..
Got one of these as a temp light on my 55..
https://www.menards.com/main/mainte...4423574927-c-7495.htm?tid=4800488220133607620

stronger option:
https://www.menards.com/main/lighti...led-shoplight/p-1444423572394.htm?cm_vc=PDPZ1

About the same price as a t8

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am really thinking on the lines on doing the Satellite + pro. LED's, But they cost more than my F250. LOL. how ever I got another thread going about how many of them i would need. If i do the T8 lighting i would just use them as a starting point until i could replace them with LED's. but I don't know if i would need 4 SAT LED fixtures or just 2, for a 2' wide tank. (i know i need 2 for fixtures for the length of tank. but not sure of width.)

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Well I am really thinking on the lines on doing the Satellite + pro. LED's, But they cost more than my F250. LOL. how ever I got another thread going about how many of them i would need. If i do the T8 lighting i would just use them as a starting point until i could replace them with LED's. but I don't know if i would need 4 SAT LED fixtures or just 2, for a 2' wide tank. (i know i need 2 for fixtures for the length of tank. but not sure of width.)
at 24" 2x2 would be recommended..just to get good coverage f/b l/r

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was afriad you would say that. Ugh, hmm I think what i want really is a 24 hr light cycle like my finnex 24/7. I really don't care to much about storm or lightning and all that. I just like the light cycle and I like to be able to grow any plant. I want. So my question is this then. What is a good Led fixture, where i can grow any plant. (or at least The majority of, want to stay away from Co2 for now.) But i also want to have a 24/hr light cycle. If i got 1 unit stuck it in the center and use a 24 hour cycle, with say 4 other (non expensive units) that are on full sun setting that come on and go off in full setting. what do you think of that? I just don't know how I want to set this thing up. I know I want LED's just hate spending money. I could really use some options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.