The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
Currently I have a 20 gallon tank lit with 1 T8 18" 15 watt life-glo and a compact 15 watt U shaped screw in bulb I put in a desk light and shine it into the aquarium. I am interested in replacing/building my own hood to improve the lighting because I don't think I will be able to grow anything with these lights, but I don't really know where to start. I have been reading the forums but it all seems a little confusing. I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction with maybe the hood they use for their 20 gallon, or a link to a DIY hood that would work. Thanks very much everybody!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have a few more questions though.

1. Could you grow plants under the bulbs that are supposed to be used for reptiles, not the fluorescent bulbs which seem to be aquarium bulbs in differnent packaging but the halogen bulbs? They seem to produce much more wattage than any I can find made for aquariums without getting into long flourescent bulbs.
2. For my current setup, would it benefit from a DIY CO2 setup? I tried one already and after 3 days one morning I found all of my fish at the top of the tank and their gills going crazy, so I took out the co2 and put in a bubbler temporarily to increace the Oxygen. I am not sure if it is because the plants aren't fully established so they would not use the extra CO2 or if their is not enough light for them to use it and therefore I am oversaturating the water. Thanks for the help!

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Halogen light might have a higher wattage, but that means mostly that a lot of energy is turned into heat rather than light. Fluorescent lamps are usually the way to go.

It's not so much the plants that determine the CO2 level by using it, it is the rate of diffusion, and loss due to surface agitation etc. So if you add a lot of CO2 to your tank, and there is not much surface movement, it can overdose the tank and kill the fish, no matter if there are few or lots of plants.

You need to figure out what CO2 level is good for your tank. With 15W over a 20gal tank CO2 will not make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ I think that would require CO2 just as easily as 2 of the normal output ones would. It's high output, so it's too powerful. If the OP is not considering CO2, I recommend only ONE of the fixtures I linked to above. Then he can add another one down the line after upgrading to CO2.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ Just using ONE of the coralife fixtures I linked to above would be perfect for that. It's 28 watts of normal output T5 light, which is very efficient. Watts per gallon doesn't apply so much anymore when talking about T5 light, and it applies even LESS when talking about high output T5's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^ I think that would require CO2 just as easily as 2 of the normal output ones would. It's high output, so it's too powerful. If the OP is not considering CO2, I recommend only ONE of the fixtures I linked to above. Then he can add another one down the line after upgrading to CO2.
Agreed. I never said or implied that it wouldn't? I guess I didn't make that clear enough though. High output lighting requires co2. The question was for high light over a 20g and I was merely making another suggestion to consider in addition to the two that were already given.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^ Just using ONE of the coralife fixtures I linked to above would be perfect for that. It's 28 watts of normal output T5 light, which is very efficient. Watts per gallon doesn't apply so much anymore when talking about T5 light, and it applies even LESS when talking about high output T5's.
I second that, I currently have one of the coralife normal output fixtures on a 20g (high) with no co2 and it is the perfect light.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.