The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Should work I have a single 15w t8 bulb over my 10 gallon I put mylar inside the plastic reflector with double stick tape I do this on all my T8 plastic reflectors for some extra light which your T5 already has being more efficient and all. I have anubias nana, cryptocoryne wendtii green and 1 little stem of alternanthera reineckii which is surprisingly growing which I thought it wouldn't. So your t5 should be fine I leave my light on for 8 hours and no problems yet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
t5s put out a lot of light. Much more light per watt than t8s or t12s which is why the old watt per gallon rule does not work for them.

A single t5 in a tank as shallow as a ten gallon is going to give you fairly high light which will likely lead to algae problems without CO2 and ferts.

Since you say you already have the light, I say give it a go. I would start by elevating the light above the tank a ways. I am not sure how much to be honest.

If you run into algae issues its likely from too much light, move the light up further, add floaters, put window screen over top of tank, employ other light lowering techniques until you find the sweet spot. Or get a t8 fixture which are really very good for low/medium light ten gallon tanks.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.