The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a medium tech 10 gal planted tank. I am not willing to do ferts except for Flourish and Excel. Possibly a small DIY CO2 reactor. T5 HO is much too high for a tank that small so I have narrowed down the options to these two fixtures.

Marineland Double Bright LED 18-24"
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22443

Or

Catalina Aquarium 20" 36W "Lighthouse"
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_76&products_id=1228

Suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's funny that you post this today. I spent about 7 hours last night setting up a low tech(for now) 10g and was trying to find better lighting options than the stock hood with two CFL bulbs in it. I like both of your choices, but the question is do you want to spend $60 for a T5 or almost 3 times that for LED's. Personally, I'd go for the T5, but that's because if I were to spend $160 on a light, it wouldn't be for a 10g.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I personally like the generic incandescent hoods because you can change out the bulbs depending on what you are doing, and for cheap. I understand it isn't the most appealing. Plus, if you have plants growing all the way to the top throughout the tank, you get the dark spot in the middle.

To my knowledge, the Marineland LED lights aren't really that powerful. I don't know about that particular light for that size tank but people seem to be disappointed.

Lastly, I have seen some fixtures at some LFS that are kind of like desk lamps but LED and for fish tanks. They seem cool if you want an open top as they are pretty high light, but tall, so you can have them way above the tank and still get the light you need. I wish I knew the brand but it could be another option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.