The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
if your times are all going to be set to the same on/off time's why not consider the coralife timer. I'm using the digital one with comes with 4 standard outlets, 2 day, and 2 nighttime except i added a splitter to the day so i could run two lights and my co2. It works really well and it comes with a backup battery so incase your power goes out all the settings are there. of course there's also the standard ones too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea, but I will have 3 different times. I currently use the coralife unit on my other setup as it doesn't need as much customization.

I have an individual cord for each bulb(2) and one for the solenoid on the co2. So I am going to have a 2 bulb burst period when I get the higher light plants I want. I want the co2 to turn on one hour before the lights and a turn off a half hour before the lights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not recommend the coralife timer, search the web for reviews and you will see what I mean.

This is my favorite timer hands down! Plus it is waterproof and automatically adjusts for daylight savings time. I got mine from Lowe's for $20 bucks. Buy two and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I do not recommend the coralife timer, search the web for reviews and you will see what I mean.

This is my favorite timer hands down! Plus it is waterproof and automatically adjusts for daylight savings time. I got mine from Lowe's for $20 bucks. Buy two and call it a day.
That looks pretty cool... but what the heck are ASTRONOMIC FEATURES?

I just get the cheap Intermec analog timers from Home Depot. Never had one fail in over 10 years. No batteries to change either.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Where do you guys get your light timers from? I need 3 individual timers. 2 for my light fixture and 1 for co2. Any good brands? Or will any old timer from walmart work? I don't need anything super heavy duty that costs a ton. Just some decent timers.
I just bought two timers at Walmart for about $6.00 each. I found them where they had the Christmas lights. They work really well. Just make sure you get the version with a third wire ground (three prong outlet). I would like to find a digital with battery backup but haven't found one that can be set for 3 different times. Until I find a digital with this feature, I will still be using the cheapo mechanicals too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That looks pretty cool... but what the heck are ASTRONOMIC FEATURES?
I believe that refers to the timers ability to automatically adjust to the slight change in daylight photoperiod we receive each day throughout the year in case you wanted to turn something off and on based on that cycle.

The cheapo timers work too, they are accurate within a few minuets and get the job done. That is what I use on my tank at work after all.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm using 2 type...

1) from Homedepot $10 (green heavy duty outdoor one, w/ dual outlet & timer). this works great, but think you can only set dual timer for both outlet, not individually.

2) Cheap $5 one's from walmart. works good, but NO GROUND on the outlet, so some light fixture may not work on these...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I believe that refers to the timers ability to automatically adjust to the slight change in daylight photoperiod we receive each day throughout the year in case you wanted to turn something off and on based on that cycle.

The cheapo timers work too, they are accurate within a few minuets and get the job done. That is what I use on my tank at work after all.
That make sense for an outdoor timer. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Get an electronic timer with battery backup if you have frequent power failures. resetting multiple timers is a pain.

I have the Coralife digital and it works fine. It does NOT let you stagger times, such as CO2 ON before Lights ON. Other than that though, it works fine.

Whatever you do, make sure everything is plugged into a GFCI extenstion/adapter.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I will personally not buy any more of the cheapo mechanical timers, and here is why:

Where I live we lose power frequently. Every time the power goes, it throws off the 24-hr cycle, which means after I catch on to it, I have to go through the process of adjusting them back to where they need, and my timers are not the most accessible things in the world usually.

Also, I have two timers on one of my tanks. This is so that I can have a sunrise/noon burst/sunset kind of thing happening. Well guess what? Not all timers are made equal, and even when I don't lose any power, after a little while goes by, the timers drift, and are no longer on the same 24 hr cycle!

On my 10g aquarium I have a single digital timer. It has a little battery backup thingy on it. I've never had to reset it or adjust it yet. The only time I ever have to do anything to it is when daylight savings time begins or ends. I've had it for over 2 years now, and still it is going strong, accurately keeping time, and even during hurricanes and big storms where we LOSE POWER bigtime, the battery has kept its time.

So, I've decided to can all the mechanical timers and use them for christmas lights. And now I will exclusively use digital timers. The convenience alone is worth millions to me, yet these timers cost about $11 at Target.

*For those non-observant ones of you out there: make sure you get the 3-prong timers!!! IME, most light fixtures (except for the 27w Hampton Bay desklamp) have grounded 3-prong cords.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What Church said. I've had a few short power outages and the Coralife Digital didn't miss a beat.

I also picked up some low-profile digital timers at Target for turning house lights on and off. They are the height of an outlet and you can fit two easily on a recepticle, or one per outlet on a power strip. They have a battery for backup and have also proven reliable BUT it has only been a few months.

AB

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I will personally not buy any more of the cheapo mechanical timers, and here is why:

Where I live we lose power frequently. Every time the power goes, it throws off the 24-hr cycle, which means after I catch on to it, I have to go through the process of adjusting them back to where they need, and my timers are not the most accessible things in the world usually.

Also, I have two timers on one of my tanks. This is so that I can have a sunrise/noon burst/sunset kind of thing happening. Well guess what? Not all timers are made equal, and even when I don't lose any power, after a little while goes by, the timers drift, and are no longer on the same 24 hr cycle!

On my 10g aquarium I have a single digital timer. It has a little battery backup thingy on it. I've never had to reset it or adjust it yet. The only time I ever have to do anything to it is when daylight savings time begins or ends. I've had it for over 2 years now, and still it is going strong, accurately keeping time, and even during hurricanes and big storms where we LOSE POWER bigtime, the battery has kept its time.

So, I've decided to can all the mechanical timers and use them for christmas lights. And now I will exclusively use digital timers. The convenience alone is worth millions to me, yet these timers cost about $11 at Target.

*For those non-observant ones of you out there: make sure you get the 3-prong timers!!! IME, most light fixtures (except for the 27w Hampton Bay desklamp) have grounded 3-prong cords.
Do you remember the brand name?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.