The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a metal halide that is just falling apart.

SO, I do not mind investing $200 (or so) on some lighting for my new 30 gallon long (36") tank.

I have pressurized Co2.

I am looking for enough lighting to kind of enjoy the hobby as a "beginner".
Although I do not have $100's to spend on lighting, I want something that is going to allow me to enjoy a wide range of plants. And just figure it out as time goes on. I'd rather buy the "right stuff" now than have to reinvest and toss out crap.

Again, I am trying to keep costs down. So $200 is my max.

My question is
Do I need ONE or TWO of these units for a 36" tank (30 gallon long)? I am using co2.
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Curre...p/rcu01128.htm

Or 1 of these? or Does someone make this with the "freshwater pack"? I do not need the blue Actinic.
http://www.marineandreef.com/Nova_Ex...p/rcu01121.htm

Thank you!

Also - Do I look at the 36" fixtures because its 36" long tank? Geez - I have no clue!
I do have a glass top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you could also go to home depot and get some of those hanging 48" T8 with 6700k bulbs. A 2x 34W fixture w/ bulbs will cost you 30$. It does not look as pretty, but does hell of a good job for the price

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A t5 2x39w light should work fine, but you should find a fixture that has 2 power cords so you have the flexibility to run one bulb at a time. There should be several options for less than $200.

So you are saying I only need 1 of these http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Curre...p/rcu01128.htm, but with a two power cord option?

Does anyone have a recommendation? And do I look for a 36" light to go with my 36" long?

Thanks Tibo32 - I appreciate it! But this is going in my office - so I need it to look "good" (hopefully great one day!! But i need a good looking start.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Forget that Hagen Glo crap... you had the right idea in your first post. Get just ONE of those fixtures in your first link... it's all you'll need, and the price is in your budget (with some money leftover!). You definitely don't need any more light than that. It will put you in the high light category, and you've already got CO2 so you're golden.

While I agree with yikesjason, that it is nice to have the option of turning off one bulb, I don't know of too many 2-bulb T5 fixtures that have this option. That tends to be something you see on 4-bulb T5 fixtures, which would be way too much light for this tank. Now, if we're talking about PC fixtures instead of T5, then yes, it is very common to find 2-bulb ones with independent on/off switches for each bulb, but those aren't as efficient as T5, so I don't personally recommend them.

As long as you keep your CO2 on, you won't ever really have a need to turn off one of the bulbs, and your budget is more the deciding factor in this decision anyway, right?

So yeah, get one of those fixtures in that first link you posted, and call it a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts