The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

finally getting back into planted tanks and looking to start a low tech / low maintenance tank. I picked up a 90p (36"x18"x18") and looking for something that will work well for some nice low tech plants. Im thinking 1 of the Current USA Satellite + 36"-48" , not sure if one will be enough but 2 would get a little pricey. Anyone have any suggestions? I doubt i'll be doing any carpeting plants.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
215 Posts
One will work okay for low tech, but you might have problems getting enough spread on a 90P. I had a satellite plus on my 90P temporarily while I was building my real light (DIY hanging), it kept the low light plants I had at the time (crypts and anubias) happy for a month or so, but was very clearly not intended to light a tank that wide. To get coverage all the way across the tank, you have two options: hang the light high enough that the beam spread is close to covering the width of the tank at the water surface, or use multiple lights near the surface of the water.

-Justin

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a custom light that is 6" wide with a diffuser lens, so it is a pretty wide spread. I have it hung about 4" above the water and get pretty good coverage.
Looks like the Plus Pro has a 120 degree lens, so the spread will be 18" wide about 5" from the lens - so probably somewhere around there will get full coverage front to back. With a 36" long light, you will have a lot of light spill at the ends. With the Plus Pro, you should have plenty of output to raise the light and still have enough for the plants in the water.

·
Registered
13,083 Posts
thanks justin,

i ended up getting the Plus Pro, looks like it puts out higher PAR readings at the 18" depth. I'll see how the plants do, if anything i'll hang the light. What height did you end up hanging it at?
Start at about 6" off the water line.....................adj. to taste.
You at the substate PAR will be the 20"-ish depth number..
20-45.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.