The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I currently have an odyssea 2 bulb t5ho light for my 75 gallon which i thought would put me in the high light category but from what i'm hearing, the ballasts only run at normal output, which would put me under low lighting and would explain why i'm not getting the growth i'd like. So, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good light for a good price that would be genuinely High Output. I thought maybe I could just buy another fixture to run 4 bulbs, but Hoppy's chart for lighting only lists 2 bulbs for NO fixtures and that is still listed as low light. I don't have a lot of money to spend but I would prefer to get something that will suit my needs then cheap out on another light and get poor results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Your Lighting Question

Hello Mr....

I'm "old school" when it comes to lighting and still use the watts per gallon rule, because it's a good starting point for figuring out low to bright lighting. Here's the skinny you likely already know: Just check the watts printed on the bulb. Add the numbers if you have more than one and divide the tank volume into the watt number. If you have a couple of watts of light per gallon of tank volume, then you'll be able to grow the majority of the plants on the market. You need to get a 6500 K bulb, because this Kelvin color is a light blue and best mimics natural daylight at 5500 K. I prefer T8s for the taller tanks and T12s for the shorter tanks, because the light isn't as intense and is distributed over a larger area.

Don't forget the ferts, good plant nutrition is second only to the lighting. Thought I'd attached an old pic of one of my experimental planted tanks. The lighting is very basic and I add some hydroponics liquids once a week when I do a water change.

B

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hey Everyone,

II would prefer to get something that will suit my needs then cheap out on another light and get poor results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone :)
Ebay seller TOPDOGSELLERS T5ho 48" 2 (54x) go get it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.