The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was wondering, I'm trying to find the balance for my tank and from what i've read on this site in regards to lighting, is that my double t5ho lights (2 bulbs) might not be enough for a good spread over an 18 inch wide tank. I have a 75 gallon tank and have my light about 6 inches over the tank. I've been having trouble getting my dwarf hair grass to grow while other plants seem to be doing well. Is it possible that my light is hitting one section of my tank, and possibly the plants that fall directly under that are eating up the co2 and starving the other plants of it (I say co2 and not ferts because i dose EI which should mean excess nutrients) ? Maybe it doesn't work like that, i'm not sure. I'm using stock bulbs for an odyssea fixture and can't decide if i need another fixture that better suits the spread or just need to buy better bulbs for better intensity (better par).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You need to have the bulbs 6" to 8" apart to get the best light distribution. Odyssea fixtures apparently use ballasts run the bulbs at normal output levels. So your DHG may not be getting enough light and possibly CO2 also. I would suggest getting a retrofit kit and making a DIY canopy/hood or getting a 4 bulb fixture and using only the outside bulbs.

I suppose another Odyssea 2 bulb fixture could do the trick also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not very handy, so building anything is out of the question, haha :) I could order another 2 bulb fixture. I just wonder if this is worthwhile. Would hanging the light higher with better bulbs help any or is that worthless do you think? :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I'm not very handy, so building anything is out of the question, haha :) I could order another 2 bulb fixture. I just wonder if this is worthwhile. Would hanging the light higher with better bulbs help any or is that worthless do you think? :)
Hanging the light higher probably would be worthless. I think getting another 2 bulb fixture would not be worthless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.